Is there a way to display USEFUL info instead of "Running Shutdown Scripts"?

Is there a way to display USEFUL info instead of "Running Shutdown Scripts" on Windows XP?

I have a number of Group Policy'd shutdown scripts that run on Windows XP (and some Win7, but mainly XP) and I was wondering if there is something I can put in the batch file that will replace the text that currently says "Running Shutdown Scripts."

So, in pseudocode:

Display "Copying File such and such"
Copy File:/Such/and/such
Display "Copying File this and that"
Copy File:/This/and/That
posted by John Kenneth Fisher to Computers & Internet (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Try the "echo" command
posted by VanCityChica at 12:40 PM on December 14, 2009

Yeah, I tried that. I think the problem is that it runs as SYSTEM, and there is no visible place under the system account to display "echo"'d statements.
posted by John Kenneth Fisher at 1:10 PM on December 14, 2009

I've done this with VBS, not batch or CMD files.
posted by anti social order at 1:28 PM on December 14, 2009

You could try explicitly redirecting to the console using echo blah > CON
posted by VanCityChica at 1:42 PM on December 14, 2009

There's a group policy setting called "run shutdown scripts visible" that makes those scripts' console windows show while they're running (there's a similar setting for startup scripts).

I generally turn that on, then use the title command to set the console window's title appropriately for the script section concerned.

The only downside is that the console window so exposed is interactive, and users can abort the script with Ctrl-C or by closing the window.
posted by flabdablet at 11:47 PM on December 14, 2009

Can this be done using logoff scripts rather than shutdown scripts thereby running under the users own credentials rather than system? - Otherwise vbs is what you need.
posted by xla76 at 12:01 AM on December 15, 2009

« Older Boss Left + (My Strategy Plan*...   |  Milwaukee Filter: Where is a g... Newer »