Risk of a bogus address for school registration?

What are the risks, if any, for someone (and the actual address-holder) to falsify their address to register their child in a NYC school?

Moving to NYC in the Spring, but in order to get a jump on middle school applications, you need a NYC address for them to even talk to you. I know exactly what neighborhood I'll be moving to, and have a friend in that area who will say that I live there. I want to make sure that I'm not putting either of us in obvious risk.

I'd be changing my payroll data at work, and putting their electric bill in my name. Is there much risk in that to my friend?
posted by anonymous to Education (4 answers total)

Previously.

Fines or jail time are possible, if unlikely, punishments for both you and your friend.
posted by decathecting at 10:49 AM on December 14, 2009

IANAL, but I don't see the issue if you're going to be living there in the near future.
posted by biochemist at 10:56 AM on December 14, 2009

This is very common in the Boston suburbs. Have never heard of jail or even fine -- just re-districting of the child.
posted by mozhet at 11:38 AM on December 14, 2009

Also, ensure you change the address with the school people as soon as he/she is registered. Otherwise, your friend will be getting mail, phone calls, etc. that you would probably want private (and to receive in the first place, I guess.)
posted by Khazk at 11:49 AM on December 14, 2009

« Older How to handle an abusive, alco...   |  How would someone teach a subj... Newer »