Opinions on Dremel Multi-Max?

Opinions on the Dremel Multi-Max? Seems like it would do what I need (awkward sanding) but it also seems gimmicky.

Also, there are similar tools form other companies - are they any different?
posted by GuyZero to Home & Garden (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

It's basically one of the clones of the Fein Multi Master. I have a cheap clone from Harbor Freight - it was good for making cuts in boards where it was hard to get a normal saw. I think the main thing with these tools is ability to get into tight areas.
posted by exogenous at 11:35 AM on December 11, 2009 [1 favorite]

It's nice for making flush cuts in tight spaces. I also don't have the Dremel one, instead, I wanted to try it out so I picked up the Harbor Freight version for $30-$35. I originally got it to see how well it stripped paint. It was OK, but other tools do it faster.

As far as I know, the major differences between different companies is the motor power, the amount of work put into the "design" and with the Dremel, IIRC you get variable speed control.
posted by drezdn at 12:00 PM on December 11, 2009

What kind of sanding are you trying to do -- between banisters/chair rails/that sort of thing, or simply something very small? I wonder if you could get something similar by using one of the regular Dremel tools -- basically, something on a rotating drill bit, so you could use it for more than just sanding.
posted by Madamina at 12:01 PM on December 11, 2009

I have a Fein Multimaster and absolutely love it, but I rarely use it for sanding. Not because it doesn't do a good job, but that I got it for everything else it's handy for.
posted by pmbuko at 12:15 PM on December 11, 2009

The comments on this post have a long discussion comparing different versions of these type of tools.
posted by drezdn at 12:29 PM on December 11, 2009

« Older I've been dating someone for a...   |  What online quizzes or tools d... Newer »