Weird YA book
November 18, 2009 3:24 AM Subscribe
[Bookfinder filter] Help me identify a weird book about black magic from my childhood.
posted by Ziggy500 to Society & Culture (6 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
As AskMefi was so helpful the last time I posted a question like this, I'm doing it again. I read this strange and wonderful book in the mid/early 90s, but have no recollection of the title or author's name. These are the (spoilery) elements I remember:
- It was set in Australia or Britain
- The main characters were a teenage schoolgirl and a young teacher who was having an affair with her (or wanted to). He was a sympathetic character, she may have been kind of annoying.
- There were 2 antagonists, a weird old married couple. They are practising black magic of some kind. They need to kill the schoolgirl, I think. He was called Robin, I can't remember her name. They are described as being quite grotesque. They die while having sex (this is described vividly - I told you it was weird). I don't think the schoolgirl or the teacher even meet them until quite late into the book.
- There was an evil wizard or necromancer who may have died a long time ago, and the weird married couple were his disciples or something.
- A pyramid in a forest definitely featured.
- The cover had a scary face on it - like Uncle Fester but scarier.
- The author, or the young teacher character, may have been called Greg.
Despite the very adult subject matter it was definitely a Young Adult novel. I'd love to find it again. Thanks for your help!