Out of nowhere I cannot renew my IP address and thus cannot connect to the Internet at home. Please hope me!
My problem is very similar to this
in terms of symptoms -- cannot connect to the internet, have traced the problem to "cannot renew an IP address." Except I have no earthly idea what precipitated this.
* I am using Windows XP on a Dell Vostro, which I got about 2 years ago.
* I have not installed any new software this month.
* I am connecting via a wireless router connected to my new cable modem connection which I've only had for a couple weeks. My roommate can connect to it without incident.
* I first noticed the problem on Monday -- I brought my laptop out of the house and used it at a coffee shop without incident. I then brought it back home and started having IP address renewal problems. I tried ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew, as well as powering down the modem and plugging it back in, but no luck.
* Last night I did a full scan on Housecall, a full adaware scan, and a Malware bytes scan; that got it working again.
* Tonight I was using it again fine, but then got a phone call and left the computer unattended and the screen went into hibernate mode -- and when I brought it out of hibernate mode, I'd lost the internet connection, and I'm back to not getting it back because it cannot renew an IP address.
Please help. Right now I am only connecting via the DSL I wanted to get rid of.
(P.S. -- PLEASE, PLEASE no cracks about how I should buy a Mac instead, unless you are willing to give me the money to do so. Thank you.)