Dual head mac with KVM?
November 7, 2009 10:07 AM Subscribe
So, finally after many years away from the world of Macs I'm about to take the plunge and buy one.
posted by hardcode to Computers & Internet (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
The issue is that I want to use my current 2 monitors, PC USB keyboard and Microsoft (yes, ok, I hear you) USB mouse and
a KVM switch
I have a dual head PC, driving 2 DVI monitors from one Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS, using a VGA to DVI adapter to drive 2 Xerox 19" monitors. This works fine.
I'd like to add a Mac Mini to this setup and have a KVM to switch between the two so I keep the desk area relatively clear.
So the plan so far is:
- Buy a Mac Mini, which comes with a mini-DVI to DVI adapter
- Buy the additional mini-DisplayPort to DVI adapter
- Hook those 2 DVI outputs and my current PC DVI and VGA-acting-as-DVI outputs into a KVM (currently looking at the Aten CS1642 caution 900+K PDF)
- Enjoy the best of both worlds!
So, the questions:
- Does the mini-DVI and mini-DisplayPort idea work? That should drive 2 x DVI monitors correctly from the mac-Mini shouldn't it?
- Can anyone suggest another KVM? The 1642 is rather expensive!
- Any issues you can see?
Thanks for your time!