What does it cost to ship a Guitar Hero controller?

How much does it cost to ship a Guitar Hero controller?

I am putting a copy of Guitar Hero World Tour for the PS3 up on eBay and need to estimate my shipping costs. I know the guitar is fairly light but it's also long and I was wondering if anyone knows roughly what it costs to ship it within the contintental US.
posted by IndigoRain to Grab Bag (8 answers total)

You can calculate it here.
posted by The Deej at 8:30 PM on November 5, 2009

I'd suggest going to the Post Office (cheapest) and getting it all packaged up and an estimate on shipping. Shipping on eBay can screw you quite easily.

Alternatively, for bigger/harder to ship items, IME, Craig's List is a LOT easier. You can get about 80% of what you could get on eBay, but you don't have to pay fees or figure out shipping.
posted by k8t at 9:26 PM on November 5, 2009

Maybe I'll take it to the post office or just use Craigslist. The Deej, I appreciate your link but I don't know what zip code I'd be sending it to. I suppose I could just pick a few random zip codes around the country and do an average.

If I ship it in the original box can I just cover it with some brown paper and not buy a 2nd box to put the game box in?
posted by IndigoRain at 9:30 PM on November 5, 2009

You COULD put it in brown paper, but I wouldn't unless it is REALLY secure in the box.
posted by k8t at 10:10 PM on November 5, 2009

I don't know what zip code I'd be sending it to

Right, but no one can give you a more accurate estimate than the postal service itself.

I often list things "plus actual shipping" and give a range of what it might be ("$7 to $15"), then determine the actual shipping once the bidding is over.
posted by The Deej at 10:14 PM on November 5, 2009

Also on eBay if you know the dimensions of the box and the weight, you can put a shipping calculator right in your auction where your buyers can enter their ZIP code and see how much shipping will cost to them, and pay you that amount.
posted by DMan at 5:13 AM on November 6, 2009

Yeah, I would go with CL for anything that is a pain to ship.
posted by craven_morhead at 8:14 AM on November 6, 2009

If you ship it Priority Mail, I believe the postage is the same regardless of where it's going in the lower 48.

Best thing to to would be to take the box to the post office during a slow time of day and ask all your questions of the postal worker.

I used to do this a lot when I sold a bunch of stuff on ebay.
posted by chazlarson at 11:43 AM on November 6, 2009

« Older [Bankruptcyfilter] YANML...spe...   |  Can vampires enter the houses ... Newer »