How does one hook up a sixteen channel firewire mixer to a mac?

How does one hook up a sixteen channel firewire mixer to a late 2008 mac? No firewire input. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.
posted by johannahdeschanel to Technology (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I hate to say this but you're basically stuck. There is a Firewire to USB adapter, but it only works for digital video, and only works for Windows. I'm in the same boat.
posted by thebestsophist at 4:00 PM on November 4, 2009

Thank you.
posted by johannahdeschanel at 4:27 PM on November 4, 2009

What mac? Does it have a firewire 800 port you could get an adapter for? Does it have an expresscard slot that you can throw a firewire card into?
posted by knowles at 4:29 PM on November 4, 2009

Is this a 13" aluminum MacBook (sans the Pro)? The late-2008 release time would suggest this. If so, you're sunk, they pulled FireWire on that model only to add a FW800 port (plus the Pro moniker) in June 2009. Lame - FW stomps all over USB.
posted by porn in the woods at 5:36 PM on November 4, 2009

No there is no expresscard slot.

Yes it is the aluminum MB sans the pro. It is very lame. Thank you for the feedback.
posted by johannahdeschanel at 7:46 PM on November 4, 2009

Yep. No FW on that model. Just picked up one refurbed for my wife. I was surprised when I realized it didn't have the option - it hadn't occurred to me to check. I'd miss it, but she doesn't care, so we're all happy.
posted by caution live frogs at 8:31 AM on November 5, 2009

« Older How can I make the air in my o...   |  My new computer can find our w... Newer »