Help us find a good World Series bet...

World series bet: Philadelphia/New York office 'rivalry'…ideas?

We have six offices - with the Main Office in NYC and an office in Philadelphia.
(Staffing is about 9-10 in NYC, and 3-4 in Philly) We have four other offices (each with similar staffing levels.)

Any ideas on a 'good bet' - this is mostly for fun/morale reasons. I'm thinking that it'd be interesting/vested for our other offices to pick/align with the split over the worlds series…and have an interesting bet…

I just can't think of something beyond cheesesteaks/cheesecakes or wearing phillies/yankees wear (for one day) that would be interesting.
posted by Towelie to Grab Bag (15 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Soft Pretzel vs Soft Pretzel.
posted by piratebowling at 8:11 AM on October 28, 2009

If Yankees win: Philadelphians must attend a performance at the NYC ballet.

If Phillies win: New Yorkers have to sit through "Wing Bowl".
posted by Zambrano at 8:29 AM on October 28, 2009 [1 favorite]

What about making the losing office travel to the winning office for some kind of an event -- dinner/drinks/lunch/bowling, whatever. Everyone can pay for themselves (unless your company wants to pay), but it lets you get together for fun. Maybe make the losers buy one round? And invite the other offices to join if they wish. Or have them pick sides.
posted by dpx.mfx at 8:36 AM on October 28, 2009

If the Phils lose, that crew has to come to NYC and eat that abomination places here serve as a "cheesesteak". I'm not talking 99 Miles to Philly, which is passable, I'm talking sandwich deli "cheesesteaks".

If the Yanks lose, that crew has to go to Philly and, I dunno, what's the equivalent? Something hilariously humiliating. You get the idea.
posted by mkultra at 8:51 AM on October 28, 2009

Just saw a new twist on the friendly "mayoral bet" tradition. NYC Mayor Bloomberg and Philly Mayor Michael Nutter have placed a bet and the loser has to come to the others city and perform an act of community service while wearing the winners apparel. You could do something like this by having the entire company perform a day (or a couple hours) of community service in the winning team's city.....would make you look like a superb corporate citizen too!! Get your PR team involved so it is captured by the media. A win-win.
posted by tdalton at 9:00 AM on October 28, 2009 [1 favorite]

Pizza is definitely not as awful in Philly as as cheesesteaks are in New York, so that's out. There must be another food like that. I feel as though Jersey must be involved somehow, since it plagues us both (sorry, it's just jokes guys). Maybe the loser has to photo document a picnic trip to the Pine Barrens? That's pretty lame, but I'm sure we could get something better. Maybe losers must buy the winning boss a commemorative hat?
posted by itsonreserve at 9:12 AM on October 28, 2009

I love the public service twist; that's certainly going to be a part of it...
posted by Towelie at 9:40 AM on October 28, 2009

I say the losing city has to wear the opposing team's t-shirt on public transit.
posted by 8dot3 at 9:52 AM on October 28, 2009 [1 favorite]

Whatever you decide to bet, have the odds at 201,449,189:113,004,046.

How about if the Phillies win, the NY office has to donate an amount of money to a steroid awareness campaign for high school athletes?

If the Yankees win, the NY fans can continue to pat themselves on the back for another year, and maybe throw in a pizza or something.
posted by clearly at 10:25 AM on October 28, 2009

Losing office has to wear Mets hats and t-shirts/uniforms for a week.
posted by Calloused_Foot at 10:58 AM on October 28, 2009 [3 favorites]

I like the Mets idea. It must suck to be a Mets fan this week.
posted by madcaptenor at 12:20 PM on October 28, 2009

Calloused_Foot: Losing office has to wear Mets hats and t-shirts/uniforms for a week.

Brilliant.
posted by mkultra at 1:40 PM on October 28, 2009

We decided a combination of some public service and alcohol….thanks for the ideas.
posted by Towelie at 9:23 PM on October 28, 2009

that crew has to come to NYC and eat that abomination places here serve as a "cheesesteak".

I hate to break this to you, but all cheesesteaks taste the same ... everywhere.... because, well.. it's a cheesesteak.
posted by Zambrano at 10:03 AM on October 29, 2009

Zambrano: I hate to break this to you, but all cheesesteaks taste the same ... everywhere.... because, well.. it's a cheesesteak.

I had to break this to you, but that's a really ignorant statement.
posted by mkultra at 11:23 AM on October 29, 2009

« Older I need to find the most afford...   |  What do I say to well-meaning ... Newer »