Recipe for Pork Tenderloin

Does the hive mind have any recipes for a pre-seasoned pork tenderloin? Any good complimentary foods?
posted by cheechman85 to Food & Drink (17 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

What is the tenderloin pre-seasoned with? It makes a bit of a difference if, say, we're talking about barbecue versus rosemary-and-garlic.
posted by joyceanmachine at 12:38 PM on October 26, 2009

eh? what's the seasoning?
posted by peachfuzz at 12:41 PM on October 26, 2009

Sorry... Peppercorn seasoning.
posted by cheechman85 at 12:43 PM on October 26, 2009

Plum jelly makes an excellent topping for a slice of peppercorn pork tenderloin. If your regular grocery store doesn't have it, Whole Foods will.
posted by jefficator at 12:44 PM on October 26, 2009

Jalapeno jelly also. Also at Whole Foods.

(I used to work in the meat department at the Princeton Whole Foods. Trust me on these)
posted by jefficator at 12:53 PM on October 26, 2009

I'm thinking dried cherries.
posted by Faint of Butt at 12:56 PM on October 26, 2009

Mr. Concolora and I often do brown sugar-chipotle mashed sweet potatoes with pork tenderloins. You could also do sauteed zucchini or quinoa (we use chicken broth to cook it in instead of water).
posted by Concolora at 12:58 PM on October 26, 2009

we had a dinner party last week where we did a pork loin, a butternut squash and goat cheese gratin, and roasted brussels sprouts. Roasted fennel salad starter. It went over like gangbusters - plus, it was all dead-easy and so non-fussy we pulled it off for ten people on a weeknight.

I rolled the pork with a herb/lemon zest/garlic mixture, but I bet the same menu would go equally well with a peppercorn (I'm guessing it's like a lemon pepper flavor profile, right?) seasoned roast. It's very seasonal, and it all just works really well if you want an autumnal/comfort food kind of meal. We roasted our pork loin on a bed of thick-sliced onions (just big fat disks) and made a pan sauce with the drippings (spoon off most of the fat; whisk in the juice of a lemon, scraping the pan; do all this while the pork is resting) to round things out.

This squash/goat cheese thing is so good. Bonus: it can stand in as a meatless main course if necessary.

- Peel and cube a butternut squash. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper; spread on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast at 475F, stirring once or twice, until the squash is tender and caramelized. Pull it before it gets mushy. You can do this a day or two ahead of time.

- Thinly slice a leek and sweat slowly in a little oil. You can do this ahead of time, too.

- Butter a baking dish, and assemble the gratin like so: Thin layer of leeks; layer of squash cubes; layer of crumbled fresh goat cheese; scattering of roughly chopped sage, toasted pine nuts, and grated parm. Repeat. You can do this the night before.

- Pull it from the fridge an hour or so before you want to cook it and let it come up to room temperature. Pour a bit of cream (or milk) over, just enough to moisten. Bake in a 375F-400F oven for 20-30 minutes, until everything is hot and the cheese on top is bubbling and browned in places.

I doubled all this for the size of our party, but you can easily scale it up or down. You don't need another starch side if you make this. We're going to toss the last of the leftovers with pasta tonight. OMG make this!
posted by peachfuzz at 12:58 PM on October 26, 2009 [25 favorites]

Homemade chunky applesauce is always a good compliment with pork.
posted by Thorzdad at 12:59 PM on October 26, 2009

I've done this before to make awesome party/finger food ...

Hit it with really high heat in a cast iron skillet, searing all four sides. Finish in a 350 degree oven, then slice on a bias, arrange slices on a tray with small slices of various cheeses, accompany with that little square party bread, and a dish of horseradish.
posted by jbickers at 1:17 PM on October 26, 2009

You want to make this recipe from Epicurious: Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Apples and Onions. Trust me. I made it a few nights ago and it was delicious. (And I'm not much of a pork eater.)

I used half Granny Smith apples and half pears. Carmelized the onions first. Super yummy.
posted by mudpuppie at 1:43 PM on October 26, 2009

Chutney or a root veg side - push sweet with a palate cleanser.

I did one last night with this on the side:
Roast Pan 1: Butternut (toss in OO and spices - cumin, cayenne, Cardamom and S&P) - roast 45 min
Roast Pan 2: Chayote, Apple, Garlic, Onion - ( OO, S & P, consider a splash of pernod) - roast 35 min
Sautoir: Sear Mushrooms (OO, S&P, deglaze with a splash of pernod - light it)
Chiffonnade mint,
Mix: all in bowl. Serve immediately.

I skiped* the pernod because I have an infant who ate it as well.

I used 2 roasting pans with for the veg because of different cook times as well as prevention of color bleeding.
posted by Nanukthedog at 2:07 PM on October 26, 2009

Best thing I have ever had with a pork tenderloin was a homemade Jerusalem artichoke relish. I tried to replicate the meal with some I bought from a Southern foods supplier and it just wasn't the same. This time of year, as Nanukthedog says, a butternut squash works nicely with pork loin. I halve the butternuts, salt them and smoke them along with the pork, then mash with a bit of butter.
posted by Killick at 3:46 PM on October 26, 2009

With seasoned pork tenderloin I've loved Chipotle Smashed Sweet Potatoes and Delicata Squash with Rosemary, Sage and Cider Glaze.
posted by vytae at 6:29 PM on October 26, 2009

I love to make Mary B's tea biscuits with tenderloin, then split the biscuits and make little sandwiches with the slices. But that may be a southern thing.
posted by shopefowler at 7:20 PM on October 26, 2009

Earl Grey chutney or reduced red wine with whole cranberry sauce.
posted by bz at 9:27 PM on October 26, 2009

You guys are awesome! Sorry for the (very) late response.
posted by cheechman85 at 7:35 AM on November 11, 2009

« Older Backpack vacuum cleaners - any...   |  Trying to remember the title o... Newer »