Is a valid email extension?

Is a valid email extension?

Hi, all. I feel slightly ignorant asking this question, but I can't seem to find an answer on the general intertubes. I am a public librarian, and I was just helping a gentleman send an email to his brother. He insisted that the address his brother gave him was I told him that typically yahoo email addresses end in .com, but he was pretty adamant about the address. We sent the email to both places- and, and the email bounced back, but the email didn't. Typing in takes you to the regular home page. Does anyone have any insight into this conundrum?
posted by agathafrye to Technology (10 answers total)
Well, exists and accepts mail, but it has an entirely separate set of mailservers and IP addresses from OTOH, they are registered to the same Yahoo as Hm.
posted by hattifattener at 2:35 PM on October 3, 2009

In the old days, .net was intended for companies that were involved in maintaining internet infrastructure (eg Demon employees were on, while Demon customers were on Maybe his brother was simply a Yahoo! employee.
posted by Leon at 2:45 PM on October 3, 2009

More hm:

It seems unlikely that it's a free email address, but it's definitely an active URL 99% likely to be under Yahoo's control.

Otherwise it is an elaborate and boring hoax.
posted by chesty_a_arthur at 2:45 PM on October 3, 2009

Maybe his brother was simply a Yahoo! employee.

As far as I know, is what they use for employee addresses.
posted by zerbinetta at 2:50 PM on October 3, 2009

They use for various development sites (see e.g., so maybe the gentleman's brother works for them?
posted by effbot at 2:51 PM on October 3, 2009
posted by Leon at 3:02 PM on October 3, 2009

Seems like Some promotion they ran in 2006, and they still haven't updated the page. here's another article. Weird.
posted by delmoi at 3:37 PM on October 3, 2009

If you're asking about the domain, take a look at its whois record. Since it's a yahoo owned domain, it seems reasonable that they can use it for email.
posted by palionex at 5:52 PM on October 3, 2009

It seems to be an address that customers were forced to change to.
posted by dhartung at 8:55 PM on October 3, 2009

Thanks for the feedback, folks! Mostly, this guy had no idea what he was doing, so I was shocked that the email went through at all. He was also trying to send a gmail email through google. As in, typing the email in the google search box. :/
posted by agathafrye at 10:48 PM on October 13, 2009

« Older So, it's time to paint my 100 ...   |  How do I burn a dvd on a mac f... Newer »