Help me sell my house
October 1, 2009 9:08 AM Subscribe
Help me sell my house!
posted by anonymous to home & garden (15 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
So I'm having trouble selling my house. I have had the house listed for about 2-3 months with little success (one decent written offer but they walked, not sure how real they were).
The potential problems:
1. We are showing the house empty right now (no furniture, moved out, long story). This is probably not ideal.
2. Winter is coming and, where I am, buying activity drops way down during winter.
3. We are not getting huge amounts of interest. About 3 showings last weekend, for example.
One thing I am thinking about is taking it off the market until spring, which will involve eating something like $15k in costs (interest, insurance, taxes). I could also maybe have it "staged" in the spring with rental furniture, for an additional cost. If I wanted to really go whole hog, I could try to paint and fix it up in the spring, for yet more cost. Eventually I will spend more then I will recover, I'm sure.
I do have a few potential strengths/options that might help:
1. I could swing some seller financing, but I'm reluctant to "advertise" this for fear of seeming desperate.
2. I could try to auction the sucker. (Anyone ever done this?)
3. I could try to rent the house for a year or so. Downside here is that the place is not in the best repair and I am concerned about maintenance hassles/costs and about not being able to show the place for sale while it is rented (because it might look like a sty). I don't really want to play landlord for a year.
I'm in a big city and the house should sell somewhere between $475 to $550k, worst case to best case, depending on how lucky or desperate I get. I'm not going to go broke tomorrow, but this isn't a lot of fun either and I don't want to throw good money after bad.
Anyway, I'm in a pickle and am just looking for good thoughts, ideas, and experiences that might help. I'm especially interested in any non-traditional ways to sell, like auctions or contacting developers who might want to rehab or knock down. Thank you.