Should I stay or should I go?
September 18, 2009 11:35 AM Subscribe
The best path? PhD and wait to get into a US school, or go off to the Caribbean?
I am currently finishing up my master's program and have already been accepted to a PhD program. I want to go to veterinary school. Due to several learning experiences, my application is a little 'iffy'. I started college at 18 and REALLY wasn't ready for it. Quit, came back a few years later, and went at it again. Success initially, but then the loans ran out and I was working 60+ hours a week and trying to go to school full-time. Attempt = almost epic fail. Recovered nicely in grad school. So, 17 years after my first attempt at college, my cumulative GPA is a bit of a hot mess in terms of applying to vet school. It is recovering with each passing semester, but it is not what many of the schools look for, since the application process is not really holistic for most schools.
I did get favorable application reviews last year from 2 U.S. schools. I am tweaking my app to suit these schools. But, admission to vet school is still very competitive, so many people have to apply 2-3 times.
I was accepted to all three of the Caribbean schools. This is more of a logistic difficulty than anything else, although none of the schools are accredited in the U.S., so an additional exam is required for licensing.
I am looking for thoughts, insights, etc. I really like my grad program, which affords me opportunities that I probably won't have again. My advisor has great funding, and essentially will let me design whatever project I want to do. So for my master's I went to Costa Rica.
I would really like to go to a U.S. school, just because it would be easier logistically. I have 6 dogs and 5 cats (that I can't and won't farm out to foster homes), so moving to the Caribbean would be...interesting. But if going to a Caribbean school is the best idea, I am willing to do it.
My advisor wants me to apply to vet school, and will release me from my responsibilities and put it on hold if I get in. If I don't get in this year, I could take more classes and improve my app and apply for a 3rd time. Cost is not an issue.
What does the hive mind think is the best choice? Thanks in advance.