Reasons to (not) move to Canberra?
September 6, 2009 1:50 PM Subscribe
[AustraliaFilter] Possibly moving to Canberra: All arguments for or against are wanted.
posted by 8k to Home & Garden (33 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite
Yet another where-shall-I-live question. I'm Australian, my husband is English but has lived in Australia before (in Sydney). After several years overseas we are returning to Australia later this year. We had been planning to move to Sydney, on the assumption that would be the best place to score a job. But my husband has been offered a reasonably interesting and well-paid job in, um, Canberra.
We both dismissed it at first, but we've suddenly become weirdly keen on it in the past day or so. Our thinking is: small cities are probably a good thing; lots of other people will have moved there for work so presumably it's relatively easy to meet people, and we don't especially love Sydney, which is the only other realistic option.
- I like outdoors stuff
- Housing is cheaper and we'll be able to save lots of money
- I have a couple of long-lost friends there with whom I might be able to re-connect
- I'm guessing the pace of life is more relaxed and socialising is more spontaneous. One thing I hate about big sprawling cities (eg Sydney and London) is that everything has to be planned at least 3 weeks in advance, and it takes an hour to get anywhere.
- We were looking forward to living near the beach in Sydney (though weren't sure if we'd be able to afford it).
- I was looking forward to moving home to a city where I had some immediate friends and family.
- We're both used to living in bigger cities
- It's Canberra! Most of Australia seems pretty unanimous on this subject...
There are dozens of other considerations, but really I'm just looking for other people's impressions, and suggestions of things we might not have thought of - we have to make a decision on this job very soon.