Veterinarians and Cell Phones in New London NH

New London NH filter: Question about cell phone coverage and veterinary services in New London NH specifically.

We're moving to New London in less than a month. I need info on two things, specifically about New London NH (not the whole Upper Valley).

(1) What are the best and most reliable cell phone carriers? We currently have AT&T but spouse couldn't get reception in our house during our home inspection 2 weeks ago. Neither could our realtor (Verizon) or the other realtor (US Cellular). Maybe our house is a dead-zone, which would be a massive bummer, but I'm hoping it was either a fluke or T-Mobile or Sprint or another carrier is the answer.

(2) We have an English bulldog who's had cancer and chemo and we need a good vet as close as possible to New London NH who handles emergencies outside business hours at the same location. (That may sound odd but where we live now, emergency trips are over an hour away although our regular vet is 15 mins away, which is crazy-making when a pet is suffering.)

Thanks much for any and all help, opinions, suggestions!
posted by mmw to Travel & Transportation around New London, NH (5 answers total)

I guess no one on AskMeFi lives in New London? I'll have to be the first!
posted by mmw at 4:29 PM on August 26, 2009

I am often in the New London area visiting relatives and my experience with both AT&T & Verizon has been similarly spotty. I don't know anyone around there to that uses either Sprint or T Mobile, for what that's worth. There's a T Mobile store in West Lebanon if you want to check with them, though.

I'm afraid I can't help much on the vet front, but given the kind of town New London is, your odds of finding what you're looking for may be fairly decent.
posted by There's No I In Meme at 5:29 PM on August 26, 2009

This place is new and may suit your needs. I take my dog to the River Road Vet Clinic, and have only taken her to Burlington, VT for serious emergencies (before the new hospital was there).
posted by B-squared at 6:12 PM on August 26, 2009

Cell service is very spotty throughout the Upper Valley/New London area. When I lived in Hanover, NH, the nearest AT&T store (which was in Concord) recommended a Nokia phone that was able to get service where my old LG didn't. Might be worth asking about.
posted by supramarginal at 2:51 PM on August 27, 2009

Thanks, all.

Wondering if anyone has experience with Pleasant Lake Veterinary Hospital (which has good reviews elsewhere online) or Kearsarge Veterinary Clinic (which doesn't seem to have many online reviews)?

B-squared: Thanks for vet recs. Even Lebanon is further than we want to drive for vet care (Stoney Brook's web site is nice, though). Several others (in the non-virtual world) have recommended River Road, too, in Norwich, so it's something to keep in mind but too far in an emergency.

supramarginal: There is now a place that sells ATT service in West Leb.

Based on what others have said elsewhere, looks like we may go with Verizon.

What a bummer that cell service is still so spotty in the area.
posted by mmw at 8:24 AM on August 30, 2009

« Older I need help figuring out ten y...   |  Unicorn party! Please help wit... Newer »