How to clear a portion of my Netflix history?

Can you tell me how to clear the list of recently watched videos on Netflix?

After an extended session of Lost (on netflix watch instantly) during the past week, our recommendations will likely be leaning to other videos of similar content and quality in the future. I have enjoyed the show, but the account is primarily my roommate's and he is annoyed by this. He is rarely a fan of tv and shows of this nature. Can anyone suggest a way to clear the evidence of my Lost marathon, so as to keep the recommendations coming according to his preferences?
posted by shrimpsmalls to Computers & Internet (6 answers total)

I don't think you can clear it, but next to or under the star rating, there will be a red circle with a line through it - click that. That means "not interested" and it should make it so that Lost doesn't affect your ratings. If I were you, I'd go in and mark all the seasons of Lost that way.

Giving it 1 star (hating it) may recommend stuff to him that other people who hated Lost enjoyed, which is not necessarily what he wants to see.

I forget what that red circle/slash thing is actually called, but it's like the Ghostbuster logo without the ghost.
posted by AlisonM at 8:03 AM on August 16, 2009 [1 favorite]

Oh! Also, I don't use this feature, but if you both use the account, you can ask your roommate to create a profile for you (under "my account"). That way, you can log in with your email address, watch what you want to watch, have your own queue (if you split the queue with your roommate). Your activity on Netflix won't affect his recommendations at all, and you'll get your own recommendations based on what you like.
posted by AlisonM at 8:10 AM on August 16, 2009 [1 favorite]

I would second AlisonM's idea to rank them "not interested." You have to bring up each disc to see the Not Interested circle thing, to the left of the stars. If you try to rank them on the Queue you only get the option of stars.

The second profile thing works great for a normal Netflix queue, but Watch Instantly can only be done from the main account.
posted by cabingirl at 8:19 AM on August 16, 2009

Have him rate them low and his preferences will reflect the fact that he didn't particularly enjoy the genre.
posted by torquemaniac at 8:37 AM on August 16, 2009

"The no symbol (also prohibition sign, circle-backslash symbol, or universal no)"

posted by Jaltcoh at 9:19 AM on August 16, 2009 [1 favorite]

Aah, good call. Like I said, I don't use that feature, so I didn't realize. If you share DVDs though, it might be worth getting a profile to have your own queue.
posted by AlisonM at 11:00 AM on August 16, 2009

« Older Where can I find resources on ...   |  Can anyone please give advice ... Newer »