Join 3,416 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

What's your favorite place to buy artists' canvas in NYC?
August 14, 2009 4:01 AM   Subscribe

What's your favorite place to buy artists' canvas in NYC?

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on where to buy relatively good-quality, inexpensive artists' canvas in the New York City area for acrylic/mixed media painting. Any hole-in-the-wall places with fantastic deals I need to know about? Can I do better than Pearl on Canal Street? Thanks!
posted by aquafortis to Media & Arts (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Have you tried fabric stores?
posted by Pollomacho at 5:18 AM on August 14, 2009

Pearl and Utrecht (111 Fourth Avenue - Between 11th and 12th Streets) tend to be the cheaper stores - SoHo Art Materials (7 Wooster St New York, NY 10013) and NYCentral (62 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10003) tend to be more expensive, but the people that work at the last two really know their stuff.

SoHo Art Material is my favorite. Though if it is purely price, I would check out Utrecht.

As a student, I used to paint on hardware drop cloth, FWIW.
posted by R. Mutt at 6:25 AM on August 14, 2009

The Art Store
(212) 533-2444
1-5 Bond Street (at Between Lafayette Street and Broadway.)
New York, NY 10013
posted by blaneyphoto at 7:20 AM on August 14, 2009

Just FYI, the Art Store is now called Dick Blick (they bought the Art Store chain a while ago). They're pretty good and carry their own brand of pre-stretched canvases, which are often on sale for reasonable prices.
posted by bedhead at 10:56 AM on August 14, 2009

« Older I'm currently reading a book o...   |  I found out new information ab... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.