I've got the mid summer blues

Can anyone recommend a Psychiatrist and a Pyschologist (or mental health specialist) in Portland, Oregon?

It's for a new bout of depression that seemed to have disappeared for the last six years or so. I would love specific names, as a couple of the resources I've used in the past are full through September and I'd prefer to begin treatment now. As far as psychologist or mental health professionals I'm a girl in mid twenties, and would prefer someone liberal but don't have a gender preference. Thanks!!

I saw a similar psychiatrist post, but there were no specific names given, I'd prefer personal recommendations.
posted by thankyouforyourconsideration to Health & Fitness (4 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Call up those resources that are full through september and ask for a referral. If you like the way those resources worked out for you...there is no better option for you than to ask for a referral. I've learned that good doctors seem to hang out professionally.

Good luck.
posted by hal_c_on at 12:55 PM on August 3, 2009

I have been seeing Sonya Jones who's office is based out of Tigard, OR - only a 10 minute drive from downtown PDX.

She's not a psychiatrist so she won't be able to prescribe you anything, but she's a damn good counselor (MA) and has done amazing things for me over the past year. I fully agree with her "facilitator" approach to mental health as, ultimately, it is up to us to make a change in our thoughts/actions.

Her fees are very reasonable ($60/session) and your first session is free. So there's no harm in at least meeting with her to see if she can provide you with what you're looking for.

posted by siclik at 1:23 PM on August 3, 2009

Thanks, so far. I did already call the counseling centers for referrals. I'll check out Sonya Jones as well. I was hoping for a psychiatrist referral as I am ready to begin trying meds again, and I have had negative experiences with that type of doctor in the past.
posted by thankyouforyourconsideration at 2:52 PM on August 3, 2009

Von Schlumperger Birgitta PHD
Street: 11905 Southwest 60th Avenue
Portland, or 97219-7005
Phone: (503) 226-0828

Don't get caught up on the name, I called her Dr. Von. She helped me out a few years ago. I liked her cognitive behavioralist style. She will give you strategies and concrete ways of dealing with your stuff. I found her easy to talk to. She works in an office attached to her home.
posted by Bueller at 5:25 PM on August 3, 2009

« Older Where can teenagers go dancing...   |  I have a friend (in Los Angele... Newer »