Should I stay or should I go?
July 28, 2009 8:33 AM Subscribe
Should I stay or should I go?
posted by semp to education (19 answers total)
I started college a year ago. Since then, I've found two horrible jobs: one which doesn't pay me unless I fight for it, and the other, until recently, was good but due to one small mix-up has taken a turn for the worse. The second company I have a contract with. Quitting that job would result in me paying back a years worth of rent, which I can hardly afford. I can, however, move within the company, meaning that I don't have to stay at this location.
For a while before both jobs took a turn for the worse, I was contemplating moving out to the west coast (namely Seattle) and finishing college there. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy at my current school, I just think that as a computer science major with a part-time commitment to another company (therefore during the summer I have to stay in the area) I would have more opportunities on the West Coast than I would in the Chicago-Indianapolis area. After weighing the pros and the cons I thought that staying at my current school would be the best for me. I'm not the best student here, but I have myself set up for success. I am in a position where nearly every professor in the department knows and likes me, and I have quite a few contacts at companies that I would risk losing by moving.
Then the problems with my job and the college itself started. Something happened at job #2 that was one of those "it's not your fault, but we need someone to blame" issues. Now I've been hit with a level of resentment that makes it impossible to get anything done or feel any sort of comfort in my work environment. At school I found out that for the second year in a row I am being refused the right to file my FAFSA as an independent despite being one on several levels, including taxes (filing as a dependent I am not eligible for any aide, but the idea of my parents contributing to my education is rather laughable). So now I'm back where I started. I need to finish the last year of my lease, but if I decide to move I'm probably going to take the year off of college and just work. I've talked about this all with my boyfriend (he's been my substitute family since I moved out almost, so his opinion does count) and he thinks it's ludicrous that I would give up my advantages for the unknown, especially since he plans to stay here for grad school (I don't think he'll make it in, so I don't know how seriously to take that concern, but that's a different story).
Better working environment
Extensive world-wide travel (my contemporaries on the West Coast do world travel frequently)
A chance to see a new place (never been to Washington, and only Southern California)
Better chances at an internship and real part-time experience
Possibly more networking with companies
Different outlook on academics/new teaching style
Small (~$1,500) tuition decrease for out-of-state, Larger (~$5,000) if I can find a way to get in-state
Boyfriend thinks I should stay/is staying
Almost have in-state tuition
Already very well established in my current area
Highly thought of despite not being strong academically
Loan companies will probably expect me to start paying them back (since I've been out of school for 6 months)
There are more factors that play in, but those are on an emotional level. I could add them into this, but I think in the end those have to be my choices and it would be pointless to act as if it were otherwise. What do I do?