What does that manga wink mean?

In manga, what does that one eye open, one eye closed expression mean? Sometimes it seems like a regular wink, but other times I get the feeling it means something else. Does it?
posted by DarkForest to Media & Arts (13 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I searched for examples, but no luck.

Sometimes I see it when people are being thoughtful, or considering something. Like how you might close an eye to get a close look at an object, but they're examining an abstract idea.
posted by Solon and Thanks at 2:48 PM on July 2, 2009 [1 favorite]

It's a wink, plain and simple. You often see this accompanied with an index finger raised over the lips, which implies, "This is a secret between us" or "I'm not telling". Other times it's just a way to express coyness or cuteness.

In other words, the same reasons anyone else winks.
posted by Marisa Stole the Precious Thing at 2:54 PM on July 2, 2009 [1 favorite]

Here is an example. Maybe it's just a wink, but it doesn't quite look like it to me...
posted by DarkForest at 3:13 PM on July 2, 2009

Yeah, that's the moé wink. Notice as well the slight blush on her cheeks, and the fingers held to her mouth in an expression of uncertainty - that's classic moé, i.e., cuteness to the max. Sometimes the wink is added to enhance cuteness, like I said, and that pic would be a textbook example.
posted by Marisa Stole the Precious Thing at 3:18 PM on July 2, 2009

^ that looks like it would be accompanied with an "oooh-hooo-hooo", a coy mannerism to show bemusement/befuddlement.
posted by @troy at 3:18 PM on July 2, 2009

I think that's just coyness, as Marisa said.
posted by Solon and Thanks at 3:19 PM on July 2, 2009

More on moé. I should clarify that the meaning of this word originally refered to having a fetish for something, e.g., a catgirl moé. Over time, the meaning changed to just mean uber-cute. You hear the latter definition more often these days.
posted by Marisa Stole the Precious Thing at 3:22 PM on July 2, 2009

Another and another.
posted by DarkForest at 3:26 PM on July 2, 2009

Yep. Total moé.
posted by Marisa Stole the Precious Thing at 3:27 PM on July 2, 2009

Coyness. Got it. Thank you all!
posted by DarkForest at 3:31 PM on July 2, 2009

I know of one character in a manga who keeps one of her eyes closed most of the time. The reason is that she has heterochromia.
posted by Chocolate Pickle at 6:17 PM on July 2, 2009

Yup, that's just a wink. In some cases, a closed eye means pain, but not in these particular pictures.
posted by Ingenting at 12:04 AM on July 3, 2009

Other interesting stuff about manga iconography on Wikipedia
posted by mukade at 3:13 AM on July 3, 2009

« Older What are some interesting, wei...   |  StoryFilter: Main character di... Newer »