A Mac, an XP, and a Vista all walk into an Itunes...
July 1, 2009 11:42 PM Subscribe
I am having trouble sharing music files in itunes over a wireless network. The three computers involved are a Mac, an XP, and a Vista.
posted by nat to computers & internet (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
There are 3 computers in this house, connected to one wireless network. One Vista (sigh), one XP, one mac. All 3 computers are set in ITunes (18.104.22.168) to both look for shared music libraries and share their own music libraries. The Vista machine can't see the music from the other two properly.
Between the Mac and the XP machine, everything is fine. They both see each other's shared music. Additionally, they also both see the Vista's shared music.
Between the XP and the Vista machine, The XP sees Vista's music, but the Vista does not see XP's music.
Things I already know are set reasonably:
1) Firewall exceptions for itunes.exe and for Bonjour are set in both Vista and XP machines.
2) I also added an exception for Port 3689 to both machines.
3) The XP machine is visible under "Network" in Vista on the Vista machine. I can see and open the XP machine's normal shared files (does not include Itunes here, but it shouldn't have to) on the Vista.
4) The Vista machine has Network Discovery, File Sharing, Public Folder Sharing (read only), Password protected sharing, and Media Sharing all turned on.
Things I tried which do not work:
1) Turning off firewall on just XP machine entirely
2) Turning off firewall on just vista machine entirely
3) Turning off firewalls on both machines, entirely
4) Cursing furiously, fantasizing about installing a different OS on the Vista machine (might work if I actually did, but I'm still at the fantasizing stage). Subsequently informing the Vista machine that I really do care for it and it shouldn't take my hatred of its operating system personally doesn't help either.
Things I would prefer not to do:
1) Enable sharing through XP on all of my music on that computer, then manually tell ITunes that music exists in the shared folders. Why? well, because I don't store music in one place on XP. It would take a while to find, and I'd have to set a ton of permissions. I'm also not sure that ITunes can add music manually that is in a shared folder on another computer.
Between the Mac and the Vista machine, the behavior is a little better. Again, the Mac sees the Vista share just fine. The Vista sees the Mac share when I first load itunes, or when I uncheck and then recheck the "look for shared music libraries" option. If I just sit around and chill, the mac share will disappear after a few minutes. Wierdly, if I play something from the Mac, then the Mac share stays visible indefinitely (or as long as I've had the patience to wait, anyhow). So this is more annoying than actually a problem, but it might help diagnose what the Vista machine's attitude problem is about.
Any ideas? I'm stumped.