can it be done? delicious delicious tempeh?

Delicious tempeh recipes for tepid tempeh tasters.

Look, I want to like tempeh. It is so good for you. So so good for you. But I've only rarely had a tempeh concoction I liked. What's your best tempeh recipe? The one truculent tempeh protesters gobble with delight?
posted by liketitanic to Food & Drink (17 answers total) 37 users marked this as a favorite

Fry it up gently in a wok with some sesame oil. Whilst warm, dip in peanut sauce and enjoy, or envelop in rice paper rolls with yummy veggies. A mix of tempura and chopped jalapeño to taste also makes a great dipping sauce.
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 2:11 PM on June 24, 2009

We make a simple tempeh "chili" by cutting it into small cubes and cooking them in a pan with olive oil until brown. Then throw in some tomato sauce. We also add onions and bell peppers, then a bunch of spices (cumin, chili powder, garlic). Obviously you can play around with this to suit your tastes. Let it simmer for about 10-20 minutes then serve over rice.
posted by Shesthefastest at 2:11 PM on June 24, 2009

Here's some info on rice paper rolls. Dip the roll in water, just enough to wet. Place the roll on your plate, fill it with warm tempeh and other fillings and sauces, wrap it up. Enjoy.
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 2:12 PM on June 24, 2009

Take a block of tempeh and cut it into 1cm cubes (more or less).

In a ziploc bag mix a couple tbsp each of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add thyme, rosemary and parsey and garlic if you like it (or use generic italian seasoning). Put the tempeh in, shake to cover it and let it marinate for a few minutes to an hour. Sometimes I go heavier on the balsamic because I love the flavour.

Fry in a few tbsp of oil on med heat (don't let the oil burn!) for 3-5 min until the tempeh browns. I usually serve it will broccoli rabe and rice. Very nice.
posted by GuyZero at 2:12 PM on June 24, 2009 [1 favorite]

s/tempura/tamari
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 2:13 PM on June 24, 2009

Try a tempeh reuben. Fry thin pieces of tempeh in oil until browned, then put the tempeh on rye bread with Swiss cheese, Thousand Island dressing, and sauerkraut. Toast the bread so the cheese melts.
posted by hilaritas at 2:15 PM on June 24, 2009 [3 favorites]

seconding tempeh reuben. any tempeh i've had in restaurants has paled in comparison.
posted by soma lkzx at 2:20 PM on June 24, 2009

there is a tempeh trick i learned from the Veganomicon. i now consider it absolutely essential in it's preparation. before you marinate the tempeh, cut it into your preferred size and toss it into a simmering pot of water for 10 minutes. this removes bitterness, "steams" the tempeh to soften it up a bit and readies it for soaking up marinade.

i marinate mine in a combo of sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, chili sauce, garlic, ginger and a sweetener like orange juice, mirin or honey. marinate for at least an hour, longer if you can. broil until golden brown 10-15 mins, basting with marinade a few times.

i made this two nights ago, and i will probably make it again tomorrow. it's so good and so easy.
posted by gnutron at 2:42 PM on June 24, 2009 [15 favorites]

One of my favorite things to do with tempeh is to marinate it a few hours in sweet soy sauce. A good Asian grocery will have sweet soy. Especially those in Indonesian neighborhoods. ABC is the brand I see most. This is going to give it a bbq flavor, so you might then cook it and use it where others might use pork. It's great on the grill, fried (dry it first), or even baked. If grilling or baking, brush with either more sweet soy or chili powder or sauce, like this chili garlic paste from the folks who bring you Sriracha. For people who like spicy-hot, this is your canvas.

I love it sliced on a baby greens salad, or on white rice with some stir-fried peppers, thinly sliced fresh scallions, and maybe cilantro.
posted by Toekneesan at 3:26 PM on June 24, 2009 [1 favorite]

My first foray into tempeh was in an enchilada, and it’s still my favorite recipe to serve to novices. Cook up some onions in oil for a few minutes then add cubed tempeh. Brown it up then add spices (chili, cumin, cayenne, oregano). Toss in a handful of spinach, a can of black beans, a little sour cream, and some fresh cilantro. Remove from heat. Spread a little salsa in a baking dish, roll the tempeh mixture in flour tortillas, place enchiladas in baking dish. Top with some more salsa and some cheese (monterray jack or cheddar). Bake for 25 minutes at 350F. Yummy.
posted by tr0ubley at 3:31 PM on June 24, 2009 [2 favorites]

in re the tempeh rubin- in general, tempeh is a really good sandwich filling. Think "burger" or in a pita- possibilities are endless really.

a veggie resto near me makes tempeh oven fries and you dip them into this miso gravy- it is FANTASTIC.
posted by ethnomethodologist at 3:48 PM on June 24, 2009

Have you tried different types of tempeh? At most supermarkets where I see tempeh, there are several different varieties. I LOVE tempeh, but I almost hate the 'garden veggie' type. Other than that, I am no help, because I could eat it straight out of the package and be happy for days. The texture is really that pleasing to me.
posted by nosila at 7:42 PM on June 24, 2009

Seconding nosila in that the brand/variety of tempeh can make a huge difference. I'm a big fan of tempeh but not of the stuff they commonly have in the supermarkets around here - it's kinda gluggy and has an unpleasant flavor no matter how it's prepared. With the nicer types, we typically steam it first (for the reasons gnutron stated) and then marinate in tamari, orange juice and/or sweet chilli. Fry in a little oil and serve either with a leafy salad or on quinoa with fried peppers.
posted by gooddoggy at 8:15 PM on June 24, 2009

It's almost cheating, but my favorite, hands down, is a tempeh parmesan sandwhich.
Cut tempeh into strips, marinate it, bake it. Take your mostly baked tempeh strips, throw them on some custy whole grain baguette type bread, top with tomato sauce, some mozerella (or soy mozzerela), bake it until the cheese is bubly.
posted by piedmont at 9:05 PM on June 24, 2009

Tempeh, lettuce, and tomato sandwich! Here's a recipe from the fabulous 101cookbooks, where everything is not only super healthy but also delicious. Beyond that, any strategy that involves marinating the tempeh will probably lead you in a good direction. I like to include orange juice in the marinades, because I think tempeh and oranges complement each other well.
posted by aka burlap at 10:23 PM on June 24, 2009 [1 favorite]

Perfect Tempeh Burgers
Chesapeake Tempeh Cakes
Tempeh Wingz

Where I live you can buy two different kinds of tempeh. I like the one that looks like this. I cannot find a picture of the kind I dislike (which is less solid and looks more "moldy"), so hopefully/probably that is less common.

I used to hate tempeh and learned to eat it through less healthy recipes (with lots of fat). Now I like it without all the fat too, but that really helped in the beginning. I also second the simmering in water tip.
posted by davar at 4:24 AM on June 25, 2009

I like to cut my tempeh into strips to use in veggie fajitas in place of chicken or steak. Just prepare fajitas as you normally would and saute the strips in the sauce with the veggies. Really nice on a whole wheat tortilla w/ a side of guac.
posted by zombiebunny at 4:52 AM on June 25, 2009

« Older What are my best options for t...   |  How do you learn professionali... Newer »