Join 3,372 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

What kind of dog is Spotcom?
December 6, 2004 7:41 AM   Subscribe

What kind of dog is Spotcom? Why is he so cute?
posted by trharlan to Pets & Animals (14 answers total)

That's a generic puppy. He's cute because he's drawn that way. If he has to be a specific breed, he's a Pit Bull like this one who was even cuter when he was that size.
posted by dobbs at 7:56 AM on December 6, 2004

What kind of dog is Spotcom? Why is he so cute?

1. He's a cartoon dog.
2. See 1.
posted by XQUZYPHYR at 7:59 AM on December 6, 2004

Agreed that it's a generic puppy, but his floppy ears and (apparent) bounciness make him look a bit like a Jack Russell Terrier puppy. Be careful when opening that link; the cuteness level is dangerous.
posted by AgentRocket at 8:05 AM on December 6, 2004

1. Obviously, he's a logo.
2. Market testing through focus groups.
posted by Smart Dalek at 8:13 AM on December 6, 2004

Cuteness is achieved through the depiction of large puppy feet.
posted by booth at 8:18 AM on December 6, 2004

(You can tell Spotcom's a boy from the masculine use of Helvetica bold in "FedEx", which looms imposingly over the Garamond condensed bold's "Home Delivery", resting beneath almost as an afterthought.)
posted by Smart Dalek at 8:21 AM on December 6, 2004

I'm going with a lab puppy. Having owned two, they were both that disgustingly adorable when their ears and paws started growing before the rest of them did. ( I wuved em, bwess their widdle heartses)
posted by kamylyon at 8:35 AM on December 6, 2004

Looks like a Golden Retriever pup to me, but it's hard to tell since it's a cartoon.
posted by maniactown at 9:16 AM on December 6, 2004

I would also say that the activity the puppy is engaged in is endearing, in that while small, he is doing something playful and adult like, fetching packages for an enormous multinational corporation.
posted by orange clock at 9:39 AM on December 6, 2004

Smart Dalek doesn't know his fonts!
posted by Robot Johnny at 10:28 AM on December 6, 2004

You can tell Spotcom's a boy from the masculine use of Helvetica bold in "FedEx"

It may have elements of Helvetica, but according to Lindon Leader, the designer of the logo, the font was developed from studying Univers 67 (Bold Condensed) and Futura Bold.
posted by anathema at 11:34 AM on December 6, 2004

*Smart dalek shuts down print shop, burns copy of the Letraset catalog, and moves to Tahiti to paint.
posted by Smart Dalek at 11:37 AM on December 6, 2004

He's not cute -- he's just drawn that way.
posted by kindall at 12:47 PM on December 6, 2004

Smart : Don't forget to cut yourself one ear. That'll show'em.
posted by XiBe at 12:48 PM on December 6, 2004

« Older Ladies of MeFi: You find yours...   |  WhoDeyFilter: I'm in Chicago, ... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.