Driving from Arizona to Bozeman, Montana

Driving from Arizona to Bozeman, Montana in about two weeks. What things must we see along the way?

We don't have any specific route mapped out and are planning on taking two to three days for driving each direction. I'm not opposed to detouring a few hours out of the way. Bonus points for dog-friendly places as we're considering taking our two young dogs with us.

In Montana, we'll be spending about a week between Bozeman and Red Lodge. Is the drive to Glacier (about four to five hours one way?) worth it?
posted by curie to Travel & Transportation (7 answers total)

I'm not sure which part of Arizona you're coming from, but a few of the things I would personally try to see (again) during that drive include:

-Moab, UT (Canyonlands National Park and Arches National Park are really breath-taking).
-Grand Teton National Park
-Yellowstone National Park
-Zion National Park
-If you drive through Salt Lake City, make sure to take at least a short detour out into the Wasatch Mountains.
posted by nameless.k at 7:24 AM on June 15, 2009

Zion for sure, and Bryce Canyon for a night as well.
posted by soelo at 7:37 AM on June 15, 2009

Drive the Beartooth Parkway from the Northeastern gate of Yellowstone to Red Lodge. Incredible views, and massive snowdrifts in July.

In Red Lodge, try to have a meal at Bridge Creek.
posted by kid_dynamite at 7:53 AM on June 15, 2009

Glacier is spectacular. It's a long way from everything, so if you have a chance to see it, take it. Also, the western side of Montana on the way to Glacier is one of the prettiest places I've seen in the West. If it works, do a loop that takes you through Yellowstone one way and Idaho and western Montana the other.
Second the Utah desert. Other possible highlights are Mesa Verde, Durango, Silverton, Ouray in Colorado.
posted by Carmody'sPrize at 8:07 AM on June 15, 2009

Nthing Zion National Park... I worked there for a summer.

You should know, if you're driving from AZ to Bozeman in 2 to 3 days, you're not really going to have much time for sightseeing outside of drive-by stuff. Or very short hikes.

If you're visiting more than one National Park, get an Eagle Pass or whatever they're called -- you'll save money pretty rapidly.
posted by hippybear at 8:46 AM on June 15, 2009

I very, very highly recommend checking out Roadside America for some fun and kitschy stops along the way.
posted by Sophie1 at 9:02 AM on June 15, 2009

Thanks to all for the great answers!
posted by curie at 4:50 PM on June 17, 2009

« Older Why is the devil red?...   |  As an expat moving to Venezuel... Newer »