How much do I need to make in Seattle?
June 13, 2009 3:11 PM Subscribe
What's a decent salary for a single person in Seattle?
posted by wholebroad to work & money (10 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite
I'm applying to jobs in Seattle and trying to figure out what my salary requirements would be there. About my lifestyle:
- Single, no kids
- Would like to live in a central-ish neighborhood, in walking distance to things like a supermarket, a few restaurants, and a coffeeshop. I don't necessarily want to live in the fanciest neighborhood, though. My AskMe research makes me think I'd like living in Fremont, Ballard or maybe Capitol Hill.
- At first, I would like to get a room in a house with roommates, but eventually I'd like a one-bedroom or large studio to myself.
- I don't have a car, so I won't have to pay for gas, etc, but I do need to live somewhere convenient to public transit and will probably use Zipcars a few times a month. I may eventually buy a cheap car.
- I like to eat out a few times a week. Nothing fancy, though. Maybe takeout (lunch or dinner) 4-5 times a week plus one or two restaurant meals a week. Other than that, I tend to spend about $50-75/week on groceries. I also like to have a few beers out a couple of times a week.
- I don't have any expensive hobbies or spend a lot on clothes. My biggest "discretionary" expenses are probably books, restaurant meals and yoga classes and/or a gym membership.
So, if you live in Seattle, what's your budget? What do you think sounds like a good salary for the above lifestyle?