What happened to The American Heritage Dictionary?

Does anyone know what happened to Bartleby.com's edition of The American Heritage Dictionary? It used to be at http://www.bartleby.com/61/ and now it's gone. It was there less than a month ago. It would be a shame to lose one of the most useful free resources on the 'net without good reason.
posted by cgc373 to Writing & Language (3 answers total)

I haven't used the Bartleby.com edition, but Dictionary.com gives results from the American Heritage Dictionary, including the Usage Notes.
posted by stopgap at 11:22 AM on June 10, 2009

"Due to financial and usage considerations the reference works licensed from Columbia University Press and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt have been removed as of June 2009."* The American Heritage Dictionary was licensed from Houghton Mifflin. (See Google's cache.) Looks like Houghton Mifflin decided they could get more money for it? It's included on Amazon's Kindle now.
posted by Ery at 11:23 AM on June 10, 2009

(Sorry, mistaken about the Kindle - that one's The New Oxford American Dictionary.)
posted by Ery at 11:26 AM on June 10, 2009

« Older Resume-filter: I'm a PR consul...   |  I don't drive and I need to fi... Newer »