Health Insurance Without Employer Support

Please help me find medical coverage/insurance for a five year old.

A close friend of mine can't get insurance through his employer. He has a five year old son who he really wants/needs to have covered and will have to pay out of pocket.

He can afford about $100 a month which is much less than what he's found so far.

I would really appreciate any help or ideas.

Many thanks in advance!
posted by snsranch to Health & Fitness (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

What state is he in? Lots of states subsidize health insurance for kids. Here's a link for New York's program Child Health Plus.
posted by saffry at 7:11 PM on June 6, 2009

What state is he in?

California has Healthy Families which is: "low cost insurance for children and teens. It provides health, dental and vision coverage to children who do not have insurance and do not qualify for free Medi-Cal."
posted by Nickel at 7:11 PM on June 6, 2009

If his income is low enough, his child will probably qualify for the Healthy Families Program in California.
posted by metahawk at 7:13 PM on June 6, 2009

Kaiser tells me that SCHIP eligibility is pretty high in CA, $44000.
posted by a robot made out of meat at 7:14 PM on June 6, 2009

Arnold is trying to eradicate Healthy Families, so I truly hope your friend isn't in California.
posted by elsietheeel at 7:49 PM on June 6, 2009 [1 favorite]

Arnold is trying to eradicate Healthy Families
haha

posted by atrazine at 3:43 AM on June 7, 2009

Hey, thanks guys. It looks like Healthy Families is his best option so far, until Arnold eradicates it that it.

Bummer, but thank you guys very much!
posted by snsranch at 2:25 PM on June 7, 2009

« Older Is there any reason to buy rou...   |  Children's movies with no scar... Newer »