Join 3,572 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Car w/column shifter?
May 15, 2009 2:22 PM   Subscribe

Do any late model American cars still come with a shifter on the column?

Time to replace my 90 year-old mother's car. Needs to be late model (to minimize repairs), American (for servicing in VERY small town). She has driven a column shifter pretty much since she learned to drive. If column shifters are no longer available, any recommendations on helping her transition to a floor shift?
posted by John Borrowman to Travel & Transportation (18 answers total)

The Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis still have column shifters, as they basically haven't changed in 15+ years. The Crown Vic isn't sold in the US to the general public any more, but the Grand Marquis is.
posted by zsazsa at 2:27 PM on May 15, 2009

Just to clarify: You're talking about the shifter for an automatic transmission, and not a column shifter manual transmission, right?
posted by The World Famous at 2:32 PM on May 15, 2009

My father-in-law's Buick has a column shift.
posted by Thorzdad at 2:46 PM on May 15, 2009

Check for cars that have bench seat options. Vehicles that have police packages available usually have column shift available.
posted by gjc at 2:57 PM on May 15, 2009

I drive a 2002 Ford Taurus with a column shifter. Seconding the bench seat or foldable front seat as an indicator that is' on the column.
posted by Phoenix42 at 3:04 PM on May 15, 2009

What you want is a 6-passenger sedan.
posted by jjg at 3:06 PM on May 15, 2009

Lincoln Towncar.

The Chrysler minivans have column shifting and are generally good choices for elderly drivers as they are easy to get in and out of. They stopped making the short wheel base in 2008 unfortunatley but if a used vehicle would be OK then look for those models.
posted by Mitheral at 3:10 PM on May 15, 2009

Ford Ranger pickup
posted by JohnnyGunn at 3:18 PM on May 15, 2009

Yes, confirming auto trans w/column shift.

Many thanks for other good ideas. Some are options she may not like, but that'll be her choice.

Ford Ranger pickup sounds OK, but then she'd want a gun rack!
posted by John Borrowman at 3:30 PM on May 15, 2009

I know people who own a late-model Dodge pickup truck and a Buick sedan that have column shifters.
posted by limeonaire at 3:45 PM on May 15, 2009

(Both automatic transmission.)
posted by limeonaire at 3:45 PM on May 15, 2009

Chevy Impala is the old-people car of choice in my family and has a column shifter.
posted by katemonster at 4:04 PM on May 15, 2009

Most if not all pickups (uh, w/automatic transmissions) have column shifters.
posted by box at 4:08 PM on May 15, 2009

My Ford Escape has a column shifter.
posted by chiababe at 4:42 PM on May 15, 2009

Seconding the Ford Taurus as a column shifter. My 2005 and my parents' 2006 both have column shifts.
posted by snugglebunny at 7:05 PM on May 15, 2009

My 2005 Ford Explorer does and I'd be GLAD to sell it to you, but climbing up on those running boards to get in might be a little tricky.
posted by tamitang at 7:28 PM on May 15, 2009

My Dodge Caravan is a column shift. I know there are several dodge products that have column shifters... bit I wouldn't suggest any of them. I've been lucky with the van, but the product is normally crap.
posted by bradth27 at 8:14 PM on May 15, 2009

I would guess a Buick is what you want.
posted by QueerAngel28 at 11:53 PM on May 15, 2009

« Older Starch is food. So, why do we ...   |  Apartment not wired with 240 V... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.