Help me beautify my front yard.
May 14, 2009 7:32 AM Subscribe
I'm a totally novice gardener. What should I plant in my flowerpots?
posted by desjardins to home & garden (26 answers total) 13 users marked this as a favorite
I live in the Chicago suburbs. We have four flowerpots (each about 1' square) on the north side of the house that are mostly in sun, and a 3' x 6' area on the ground next to the house that is almost always shaded. This area has wormwood and snapdragons that come back every year.
- Widely available and inexpensive
- Not much work beyond watering
- Can stand up to violent thunderstorms
- Not particularly attractive/tasty/poisonous to dogs/cats
- Would be nice if they were attractive to butterflies, but not necessary
- If it helps with the whole bee situation, so much the better
- Does not matter if they come back next year, because we'll have moved by then
I would like to not put a ton of thought into this - I'd like a "grocery list" that I can take to the store, plant 'em and be done with it.