Help me pick out songs for a Thanksgiving Playlist.

Thanksgiving Playlist? [+]

Thanksgiving for two, a slimmed down version of the classic turkey and pumpkin pie…in need of musical accompaniment …good for the digestion music…etc (been cooking not eating, brain is fried…sorry for the elliptical nature of this post…fill in the blanks)
posted by Grod to Media & Arts (7 answers total)

uh, Turkey in the Straw?

/ got nuthing
posted by crusiera at 2:42 PM on November 25, 2004

I just happened to have finished putting this together when I saw your post:

1 Joni Mitchell - Court And Spark
2 Lloyd Cole - Trigger Happy
3 Bill Morrissey - Handsome Molly
4 Phoebe Snow - Either Or Both
5 Cat Stevens - The Wind
6 Alison Krauss - Baby, Now That I've Found You
7 Elliott Smith - No Name #3
8 Heart - Here Song
9 Tom Rush - Urge For Going
10 Suzanne Vega - World Before Columbus
11 Scott Appel - Bird Flew By
12 Shelby Lynn - Lookin' Up
13 Nick Drake - Clothes Of Sand
14 Eva Cassidy - Autumn Leaves (Live)
15 Everything But The Girl - Fascination (Live)
16 Freedy Johnston - Moving On A Holiday
17 George Harrison - All Things Must Pass (Home Demo Version)
posted by JeffL at 3:12 PM on November 25, 2004 [2 favorites]

Play an Einsturzende Neubauten record at a slower speed and let that Turkey and stuffing digest.

I kid because I love. Are you looking for songs ABOUT Thanksgiving or just something nice for the post meal evening? If it's the latter, just go with something that relaxes you and makes you feel good. For me that could be Blue Train, Skylarking, Keep Moving, or hundreds of other records.
posted by HifiToaster at 3:37 PM on November 25, 2004

JeffL's list looks great, but if you want Thanksgiving specific songs, there's always Adam Sandler's Thanksgiving Song, Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant," and Aaron Copeland's "America" [I think that's what it's called] that uses the Shaker "Tis The Gift" melody.
posted by Frank Grimes at 4:15 PM on November 25, 2004

Rollin' Back, My Morning Jacket, is adequately post-prandial
posted by matteo at 4:50 PM on November 25, 2004

William Burroughs' A Thanksgiving Prayer [mp3 - direct link]
posted by Token Meme at 5:41 PM on November 25, 2004

I have so much more respect for the little bar down by the river on the way to my parent's house, now. They have one of those ever-changing signs with little witticisms on it, and I noticed on the way here that it now said "You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant" and I shrugged and was like, "cool, a Guthrie", and let it be. Apparently, it's Thanksgiving Specific. Who knew?

And if you wanted to cheat cheat cheat, Stephin Merrit of The Magnetic Fields put together the entire soundtrack for "Pieces Of April", which is a Thanksgiving movie...so I would say anything off of that would work.
posted by redsparkler at 6:08 PM on November 25, 2004

« Older Chicago Hotels? We're looking ...   |  Is there a way of copying mess... Newer »