Combat Boots

Is anybody out there familiar with different brands and styles of combat boots? I'm looking for a pair of insulated boots (preferably with gortex) that either come in women's sizes or very small (5) men's sizes. Top of my list right now is the Matterhorn 1997 model, basically because it's the only boot I've been able to find that fits the above description. I also like the Corcoran Field Boot, but I'm worried it won't be warm. And I can't afford Danner.
posted by damn yankee to Shopping (7 answers total)

I'm very fond of terra boots. I wasn't able to get their women's police/military section to open just now, but they have a number of mens boots in size 6 that you might be willing to check out... They used to make a boot called the combat II, but I wasn't able to find it on the site. Reasonable prices, as well.

A note on the navigation; there are some arrows up above the columns of boots, I didn't see them at first. Kind of sloppy.
posted by cmyr at 5:20 AM on November 25, 2004

Please tell me you're someone's mother.
posted by Capn at 7:44 AM on November 25, 2004

Don't worry about the Goretex. Goretex doesn't hold up at all well to the conditions found in footwear (deluges of dirty water and grit, and unable to give them a hot washing and extra-hot drying). Any extra you pay for Goretex will be pissed away within months: it's not a matter of if it will fail, but how quickly.
posted by five fresh fish at 10:17 AM on November 25, 2004

Does it have to be military? If you just want something in an aggro style, you could try the
Lehigh NuGuard 75. A number of law enforcement agencies wear Lehighs as part of their riot gear.
The Sketchers Buckhorn is another imposing shit-kicker, while the River Road Double Zipper
Field Boot
comes in a helljumper/paratchute trooper's style.
posted by Smart Dalek at 10:29 AM on November 25, 2004

Thanks, all. I'll be checking out your suggestions later today!

(And no, I'm not anybody's mother, Capn. Not sure I get the implication, either.)
posted by damn yankee at 11:50 AM on November 25, 2004

It's an old, old form of double-edged insult; "Your mother wears combat boots" implied someone's mom was a hardass who frequently slept with soldiers.

As you could imagine, the catchphrase ended up losing its relavance during the heyday of punk.
(Though I'm not sure if that'll stop you from kicking Capn to the curb!)
posted by Smart Dalek at 12:11 PM on November 25, 2004

Yeah, I realized the reference as I was leaving the house, and went "Duh." And then I went "I'm such an asshole." And now I'm back to declare both of these things.

Sorry, Capn. Pre-coffee brain fart.
posted by damn yankee at 1:32 PM on November 25, 2004

« Older Has this lard gone bad, or is it just different?   |   Limiting Video Games Newer »