Miscarriage questions - please advise.
May 7, 2009 8:00 AM Subscribe
Need help diagnosing miscarriage/blighted ovum, specifics inside.
posted by anonymous to health & fitness (15 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Hi all, I'd love some feedback regarding the recent events in our pregnancy. This past Monday (3 days ago) my wife was 8 weeks pregnant. "Officially" pregnant - positive tests, all the symptoms (missed periods, sore breasts, enlarged belly, and confirmation from her OB/GYN). On Tuesday she experience heavy bleeding. Within hours she felt "different", and she seemed to know that she was miscarrying. Her breast soreness also decreased.
Wednesday she visited her doctor who performed an ultrasound and said there was an empty sac. They told her to come back for a followup ultrasound next week. She's experienced additional bleeding (not just spotting) and significant cramping as well.
Today (Thursday), she got a call from the Ob saying her bloodwork came back and her progesterone levels were very low, around 6.2 (they said they should be in the teens at this point). They want her to come back tomorrow for another round of bloodwork "before they can D&C".
So. To me, all signs point to a miscarriage of some sort - specifically an early pregnancy failure or "blighted ovum", as all the books/websites describe it. However, her doctor has never specifically said it IS a miscarriage, just told us the test results and basically said "tune in next time". Which is leaving us in an emotional wreck, without any idea what to do.
I guess my I'm basically looking for some form of confirmation. Some specific questions:
- Is there any chance that this is not a miscarriage? I've read about misdiagnosed blighted ovum scenarios, etc. One thing is for sure: We do NOT want to perform a D&C if there is ANY possibility of a continued pregnancy.
- Even if we get a followup ultrasound next week that shows an empty sac (at week 9), how can we be sure that there's still not a chance?
- What questions should we be asking the doctors about this situation?
- I know D&C is generally optional, and my wife is NOT AT ALL excited about having this procedure performed. But she's also terrified of the idea of letting it just "sit" inside her for an unknown length of time... How long should we really expect to wait for her body to eject it on its own? Is there some point where we should bite the bullet and have the D&C done?
- Any other relevant information would be great.
We're not looking for false hopes. We're basically resigned to the fact that this is a failed pregnancy one way or another, but our consciences will certainly not allow us to do anything to abort the pregnancy if there is any chance of viability. So what should we do, what should we know, and what should we ask?
(For those who care: We're doing "okay" emotionally. My wife is pretty fragile emotionally anyway, and she's been alternating between "trainwreck" and "sedate". I'm doing all I can for her - I took off work yesterday to take her out to lunch and walk the mall to get her mind off things, and I think it really helped. I'm taking care of the house, cooking, shopping, etc - she's off work and just taking it easy. We've drawn especially close these past couple days, and communicated openly about this situation, and I don't think there's much more we can do. The hardest thing for her is the not knowing - and when the doctor calls with an update that doesn't give us answers, only more questions, it destroys all the emotional progress she's made to cope with this and we have to start at square one. She just wants it to be over, I think, as sad as that fact is to handle. Also know that this was a planned pregnancy and that we're going to be trying again, but we're not about to throw this one out the window!!)