How do I find a live-aboard slip in the SF Bay Area?
May 2, 2009 4:46 PM Subscribe
I need help finding an inexpensive live-aboard boat slip in the Bay Area. General boat-living hints, anecdotes and tips are also welcome.
posted by loquacious to travel & transportation around San Francisco, CA (17 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite
I'm considering accepting the offer from a friend to use a small (25 foot) sailboat as a quiet residential place to get some downtime, quit smoking and work on some stuff. The boat has been stripped of galley and some other furniture in preparation for a refit. The bilge is dry, the boat has no leaks or minimal leaks.
I'm having trouble navigating the hundreds of marinas in the bay, most of which have mostly uninformative websites, and I've never had to look for a "live-aboard" slip in my life.
Location isn't so much as a concern for me, but things I'm looking for are:
1) decent access to BART and transport.
2) Electricity and Wifi access
3) Showers on site, sewage pump-out and hopefully laundry
4) Hopefully in a low-wake zone. Those container ships throw a considerable wake as they pass.
5) Hopefully quiet, IE, not a scurvy party dock.
6) Damn near as cheap as possible.
Any expert suggestions on where to look? Any tips for living aboard a small boat?