Laptop mouse won't left-click

Once in a while my laptop mousepad will stop responding to left-clicks. It has always happened when I was in the middle of typing something so I think it has to do with keys I hit unintentionally. Does anyone know what key combination would cause that or, more importantly, what combination will undo it?

The keyboard will still type and the mouse will still right-click. When I move my finger on the mousepad, it highlights whatever's on the page so the left-click is engaged.

It's only happened in Firefox and Microsoft Word, although I suspect if I typed a lot in any other program, it would eventually happen there, too.

Restarting the computer makes the issue go away.

posted by thewestinggame to Computers & Internet (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

What kind of laptop and what O/S are you running? How old is the laptop? Have you ever hooked up a USB mouse to the laptop and had the same thing happen (assuming you're talking about the touchpad on the laptop itself)?
posted by educatedslacker at 6:07 AM on April 10, 2009

I have a Gateway M460 from 2005 running Windows XP. I've only used a USB mouse a few times with this computer and did not have the problem then. However, I only used the USB mouse during the first couple of months I had the computer and have not used it since.

I am talking about the touchpad on the laptop; I couldn't think of that word- thanks!
posted by thewestinggame at 6:26 AM on April 10, 2009

I get this occasionally with both my laptop's mousepad and a regular mouse. It seems to be caused by the the CTRL or SHIFT key sticking. To resolve it I just firmly tap each CTRL and SHIFT key on the laptop (because I don't know which one causes it) and then left click again and the selection mode is cleared.
posted by NailsTheCat at 6:31 AM on April 10, 2009

Do you have MouseKeys enabled in Accessibility Options (assuming it's XP -- Vista no doubt has something similar but it may be in a different place, maybe Ease of Access?). If so, and you have accidentally hit the 0 key on your numeric keypad, which functions as a "mouse button lock," this could be the problem.
posted by kindall at 6:36 AM on April 10, 2009

This happens to me too. New Dell laptop. I find that if I just right click a couple of times it stops. It is annoying to no end. I hope someone knows the answer.
However, I think that you can get it to stop without restarting your machine.
posted by nimsey lou at 9:05 AM on April 10, 2009

I've had this happen, but only in Excel. It's a bitch because you can't save the file and can't un-left-click i.e., everything continues to get highlighted even when I'm scrolling without holding the mouse button. Ctrl-alt-delete and killing Excel works. I have never rebooted the machine for this issue. (elderly Toshiba, WinXP, MouseKeys NOT enabled.)
posted by whatzit at 1:05 PM on April 10, 2009

« Older What is "the modern condi...   |  Looking for the Bloom County s... Newer »