Losing my hard-drive virginity
April 9, 2009 5:14 AM Subscribe
n00bfilter: formatting hard drive, need all the help I can get! Specifically with Windows XP. everything inside...
posted by alona to computers & internet (15 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
So I have a nice computer that is about 5 years old and is in dire need of a fresh start. I'm relatively tech-savvy but have never done this before.
Here is what I need:
1. My brother formatted this computer sometime in the distant past, or did something, and for this reason my computer is running an unvalidated copy of Windows XP Pro. I do not have a windows installation cd. How do I get one without paying? (Maybe this is a politically incorrect question to be asking; if so, I apologize).
2. Because of the explained reasons, my computer doesn't have Office, and I would really like to have office after I reformat, how do I do this if I don't have a CD?
3. You guys probably have a lot more experience, so other than following a lot of internet guides, what should I know going into this? What problems might I encounter and how do I know how to handle them?
4. My house is linked up with a wireless router. My computer is hooked up via cable, but there is another laptop in the house that accesses the internet wirelessly. Will it be able to surf the web even while I format my desktop computer?
5. Related internet question: How problematic is it going to be to get the internet up and running again on the computer after I format? Specifically, what are the steps to getting reconnected to the web?
I have 512mb installed memory, 80 gig hard drive, 2.4 gigahertz Pentium 4, I have my current XP version's CD key but as I mentioned it's not a legit copy and I don't have it on a cd.
I do have all the cds for the hardware that's currently connected to my computer (mainly my printer). Also used Belarc adviser to figure out everything I need, and burned all the stuff I want to back up onto DVDs.
So, now what?