How do I start to shop for a new music keyboard? I sing classical music (art song), but I like to play with the fun sounds and possibly play out - with a "real" pianist. My 12-year-old KT-88 seems to be slowly dying.
I am pretty sure I don't want a real piano, because I don't want to move it or have to tune it -- but I want a keyboard that will:
- sound good enough for at least a decent small-venue recital (my house or maybe a small non-traditional performance space that doesn't have its own piano);
- feel "normal" enough for a very good jazz or classical pianist to not be thrown off his game;
- have high polyphony (many notes can play at once); sustain pedal;
- I know it's cheesy, but I think my dude would LOVE to play with an auto-accompaniment feature. Maybe I would too;
- my current keyboard has a ton of sampled, excellent sound patches built in, which I love to play with;
- it would be awesome if it weighed less than my current keyboard, which is very very heavy;
- price is a consideration; I'm hoping to find something for far less than the $2000 I paid for my Ensoniq KT-88.
When I bought my Ensoniq, I wanted to love the sound and be as hypnotized by it as I had been by real pianos. I think it worked; I'm picky enough that I like the second of it's five sampled piano sounds. I'll be very sad when the Ensoniq goes.
I probably won't be making a purchase for a year or two, but I'd like to keep my eye on Craigslist in hopes of finding one used (at least an amp, I'd think).
My current keyboard is an Ensoniq KT-88. It's pretty good, it has five piano sounds which are very nice, I love playing with all the features. It seems to be slowly dying, however, and the Ensoniq company is out of business and parts/repairs are difficult and expensive. The thing is also incredibly heavy -- I think partly because it has weighted action in each key.
amp recommendations too?
I know I'll need a good amp; would you please offer advice on this too? I started looking around and the range of stuff available was a little overwhelming. My old keyboard has been amped through my stereo, then through a very nice little speaker set that went with a computer.
I'll probably purchase the amp sooner, then the keyboard in a year or two, unless a really good deal shows up. I wish to be in a state of readiness for good deals.
Can anyone suggest the best way to shop for something like this, or even make specific recommendations? My local music store(s) (Chapel Hill / Durham, NC, US) seem to consist of piano dealers (not really what I want) or very small shops with limited selection.