Falling down: help me not to
March 31, 2009 2:58 AM Subscribe
What should I wear on my feet this spring/summer? ... Not so much a fashion question, as a let's-keep-my-feet-under-me-and-my-bones-unbroken question. But a little fashion would be nice.
posted by taz to clothing, beauty, & fashion (22 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
All my life I've happily worn thong-type sandals from May-October, but where I live (and do most of my walking) now is like an obstacle course for walkers, even though it's urban: uneven terrain, lots of hills and inclines, many different surfaces with unexpected dips and projections... and twice last summer I had fairly serious falls that left scars, though thank goodness no broken bones or other, more serious injury.
One time I slipped on what could only be glass dust that had been put down over what looked like maybe some kind of oil spill on a steep pedestrian street by a renovation site (this was just colossal stupidity from some worker on the site, and honestly, no footwear would have saved me from that fall) and the other was from sliding on a large, slippery cobblestone, straight down onto a sharp curbstone. But there were also enough near-misses that I'm determined to do what I can to find footwear with good traction, and possibly other unknown features that might make them safer...
* not crazy about sneakers, or other closed shoes if I have a choice
* hate "clunky" but realize I may not have a ton of options
* very hot climate here
* will be wearing with skirts or longish shorts - very casual
* not in U.S. or U.K. so not all brands will be available
* not averse to ordering online from UK or anywhere in Europe
* willing to spend what it takes, because, hey - it's less than a hospital stay, right?