Is it possible to boot a cloned MacBook drive onto a Mac Mini and continue about my business?

Alright, so I flew across the country yesterday and I left my MacBook at the TSA checkpoint. After much freaking out, I managed to get it located and am getting it overnighted back to me. Right now I'm poking along with my last backup on a Windows machine trying to cobble together enough things to get some work done. It got me to thinking about other ways to deal with a lack of my primary machine.. As standard procedure, I use carbon copy cloner on my Macbook to a firewire drive about once a month. Nightly I rsync everything from my Users directory. I have booted off the drive on my Macbook before and verified things work fine that way (actually, booting off the Firewire drive is faster than the internal drive.. ). I was wondering, if I picked up an Intel Mac Mini just as a spare machine, would I be able to just boot off of that external drive even though it is a clone of the Macbook and just keep on trucking? Would the OSX from the Macbook boot on the Mini via the cloned drive or would I then need to reinstall OSX with the Mini's copy to do what I'm thinking?
posted by prggr to Computers & Internet (3 answers total)

Yes. You could also migrate the data from the clone to the new machine via Migration assistant, or by following the on screen instructions when you first turn on a new machine/fresh OS install.
posted by now i'm piste at 10:14 AM on March 26, 2009

Yep, done this myself a few times and it works really nicely.
posted by sektah at 11:31 AM on March 26, 2009

Ah, good to know. I'm not wanting to migrate as this would be just for (hopefully) short term purposes in case my main Macbook dies (or I lose it again) before I can get it back or replace it. I figured this would probably work, but don't want to go get a Mini and then find out it won't.. Thanks!
posted by prggr at 12:01 PM on March 26, 2009

« Older About 5 years ago there was a ...   |  I want to play beer league hoc... Newer »