Help prepare me for getting an iphone with tmobile!
March 20, 2009 8:59 PM Subscribe
iPhoneFilter: My grandpa wants to buy me an iPhone and I'm on tmobile--help me figure out what I need to do to get this purchased and working correctly!
posted by Elminster24 to Technology (16 answers total)
My grandfather has offered to buy me an iPhone. That said, I'm a (relatively) happy tmobile customer who currently has an old promo deal of theirs that no other cell phone provider (heck, not even tmobile themselves) can match in terms of price and features so switching to AT&T is not an option.
So, I know tmobile has 3G now and that people are apparently able to use iphones on tmobile. I've talked to my brother a bit who knows a bit about jailbreaking iphones, etc.
What do I need to know about this process? Some questions I've been wondering about are...
1. How do I go about buying this iPhone if I don't want to signup for AT&T? Can I just have my brother buy a new one "for himself"?
2. My brother said I need a 3G compatible SIM card. Right now I have a Razr v3t which I don't believe is 3g compatible (I got the SIM card before 3G was even out). Where can I purchase one and is it difficult to transfer stuff over?
3. Where can I find a good guide for getting a 3G iphone working on tmobile from start to finish?
4. What restrictions or limitations should I be aware of when using this iphone on tmobile?
5. Is there any risk in the future of getting my phone bricked by a mandatory Apple update?
6. Most importantly, what is the app store situation when using the iphone on tmobile? Do I have full access?
Sorry for all the questions...I'm just paranoid about doing this as I really want an iphone but want to make sure I'm not going to get screwed when I could get a Kindle 2 instead.