Swedish Translation

"Den ser så söt ut på dig använd kondom." I've tried every available transloation site on earth, to no avail, and I don't even know what language this is. Can someone translate?
posted by tristeza to Writing & Language (11 answers total)

Looks like Swedish to me. As for the translation, I can't help you there.
posted by zsazsa at 9:14 AM on November 12, 2004

Looks like Systran has Swedish. Either their system is very bad at Swedish or the above is very colloquial: it translates to "The sees so sweet out on you used kondom."
posted by zsazsa at 9:20 AM on November 12, 2004

My Norweigan friend says

"It's Danish and means something like 'it looks like so on you use a condom'. I'd need the context to be more exact. Also, it might be missing a comma or full stop"

Hope that helps.
posted by ascullion at 9:25 AM on November 12, 2004

The Xerox Research Center Language Identifier says it's Swedish which, without a larger sample, is tenuous. [Self-link]
posted by Danelope at 9:29 AM on November 12, 2004

It's Swedish, definitely. Swedish uses the umlauts, Danish doesn't.

"It looks so sweet when you wear/use a condom" would be my guess. Just a guess.
posted by gimonca at 9:32 AM on November 12, 2004

använd kondom looks to be an outfit that sells condoms through the mail in Sweden.
posted by Otis at 9:33 AM on November 12, 2004

"It looks so sweet when you wear/use a condom" would be my guess. Just a guess
.

Eureka! I think this is it. It's on a poster about HIV prevention and the picture is of two little naked guys, one of which is wearing a condom and the other is looking at him with adoration and a little heart over his head. This has been making me nuts for years. Thanks!
posted by tristeza at 10:00 AM on November 12, 2004

Yes, I think I've seen that poster somewhere. Anyway, as was said above it lacks some kind of punctuation (or a new line) between dig and använd to make proper sense, which would be
"It looks so sweet (cute) on you.
Use a condom"
posted by mummimamma at 10:43 AM on November 12, 2004

yes, mummimamma has it right.
posted by edlundart at 11:50 AM on November 12, 2004

I approve mummimamma's translation.
posted by mr.marx at 12:09 PM on November 12, 2004

mummimamma - great username!
posted by widdershins at 12:48 PM on November 12, 2004

« Older SC Divorce Lawyer   |   What's a good, free, and simple content management... Newer »