Skip

CV heading for board of director-type positions?
March 5, 2009 6:05 AM   Subscribe

Where on a CV would "Board of Directors"-type positions go? (i'm trying to not put it in the "Employment" section).

Writing a CV for the first time, for an academic position. I'm only used to the resume-format. I'd like to include some boards that I've been on, but I don't want to give it a lot of prominence by putting it with the regular employment stuff. I'd be happy including it in a short list near the end.

Any suggestions for a section heading to put them under?

Many thanks.
posted by leticia to Work & Money (8 answers total)

I would put that under a heading titled "MEMBERSHIPS:"
posted by applemeat at 6:19 AM on March 5, 2009

You can have a separate category, underneath "Employment" or "Jobs" or whatever. I don't know if I'd call it "Memberships" or something like "Other Activities".

I've also seen board memberships just included in a chronological list that also includes jobs.
posted by alms at 6:25 AM on March 5, 2009

Perhaps "Additional Experience"?
posted by waywardgirl at 6:35 AM on March 5, 2009

My Board of Directors seats and other memberships go in a section below my work experience called "Professional Affiliations".
posted by anastasiav at 7:09 AM on March 5, 2009

if the BOD positions were for nonprofits, i woud use a section entitled "Community Involvement" - this is where you could also put your other volunteer/community activities

otherwise, i agree w/ anastasiav - Professional Affiliations, like if the boards were for trade organizations or organizations specific to your field.

if they were paid positions, then they should go under Other Experience if you don't want them under Employment.
posted by sio42 at 7:16 AM on March 5, 2009

I've also seen it under "Community Leadership and Service", or "Professional Leadership and Service", usually right after a "University Leadership and Service" section. I think Professional Affiliations works too.
posted by anitanita at 8:01 AM on March 5, 2009

I use "Affiliations" but I like everything sio42 and anitanita suggest.
posted by Miko at 8:56 AM on March 5, 2009

many thanks to all! I think i'm going with Affiliations -- i think it suits my purposes best as I'll be able to include some other things under that heading too.
posted by leticia at 2:04 PM on March 5, 2009

« Older I'm looking for historians and...   |  At what point, if any, is an o... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.