What's the cheapest way to call America from the UK?

What's the cheapest way to call America? I have 1000 off peak minutes a month on an Orange contract to play with..
posted by Mossy to Shopping (7 answers total)

Have you looked at services like FirstNumber? I don't know if they're compatible with Orange, but you can call a landline and have it redirected to the USA - at a rate of 3p per minute. Surely cheaper than calling direct from the mobile.
posted by skylar at 5:35 AM on November 7, 2004

Telesavers offer a good price/quality balance.
posted by the cuban at 6:47 AM on November 7, 2004

There are some carriers that let you call overseas for the same price as if you were dialing an Orange mobile. I believe this works because they have just diverted calls on an Orange mobile to their landline. I don't have Orange so I don't pay attention to this, but you will find a lot of tips in the uk.telecom newsgroup.
posted by grouse at 7:48 AM on November 7, 2004

telediscount calls come out of free minutes on my O2 contract - you'd have to check/test for Orange, but you might be in luck.
posted by cell at 12:07 PM on November 7, 2004

I use Telediscount and O2--which is great. I essentially get 500 free minutes to call the U.S. with my contract. I am pretty sure this does not work with Orange.
posted by grouse at 1:06 PM on November 7, 2004

Yeah, it doesn't, got stung for that despite being on an O2 OVP package.. Isn't it still 2p per minute as per telediscounts pricing?
posted by Mossy at 2:12 PM on November 7, 2004

Forget about "minutes", "bills", etc..
My suggestion: Internet telephony like Skype
Download it & get your US friend to download it.

Internet telephony is fantastic.
1) it's free.
2) voice quality is awesome (if used with a headphone. But I use the microphone in my laptop, and it's fine)
3) it's in legal limbo, so jump on the bandwagon before it gets regulated (read: taxed)
4) did I mention it's free? Leave the thing on all day, all week, whatever..
posted by ruelle at 2:23 AM on November 8, 2004

« Older Online Dating   |   What is the best way to paint a canvas a single... Newer »