New HDTV Owner, Hookup with my Mac Mini?
February 26, 2009 3:47 PM Subscribe
Just bought a Sharp Aquos LC37D43U
and am planning to use my G4 Mac Mini for at least a DVD player--but can I have it do more? And how would the setup work?
posted by gramcracker to Computers & Internet (6 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I'm a computer techie, but all this TV stuff is new to me. Still trying to decide if I want the huge monthly cost of cable.
1) I'm assuming there's no way to hook up my cable (or just antennae) to the TV, and then have the Mac Mini pull the TV signal from the TV back to the Mac Mini, for DVR functions, right? (ie: use the TV as an output.) Also, are there DVR options for a Mac/Mac Mini, or should I just chip in and get a TiVO or DVR from my cable company, RCN?
2) Re: #1, so if I wanted to do any of that, I'd need a TV Tuner for my Mac Mini, right? And for most people they use EyeTV, hook up their cable to the EyeTV, and then run the output thru their Mac into their TV?
3) To use Boxee or Plex, I just have to have my Mini connected to the internet and then connect the Mini to the TV, right?
So I guess in summary, my question boils down to:
* Are there DVR options for the Mini, and how do they work (or should I just get a TiVO) and
* How do I use my Mac Mini as a media server/Boxee/Plex with my new TV?