Shopping for a Greatcoat in Toronto
January 28, 2009 11:07 AM   Subscribe

I'm going to be in downtown Toronto this weekend and would like to try to buy a greatcoat. Yes, I'm a fanboy.
posted by djfiander to Shopping (10 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

if you want answers your going to have to provide more details like:
- what's your budget
- what do you mean by greatcoat (is that the same as an overcoat?)
- what are you a fanboy of, and what does that have to do with a coat?
posted by Kololo at 11:46 AM on January 28, 2009

I'm not sure if they'd have greatcoats, but if I wanted one, the first place I'd look would be Stollery's at Yonge & Bloor.
posted by sevenyearlurk at 12:14 PM on January 28, 2009

Are you looking for a really heavy greatcoat, or a medium weight one? ;)
posted by subatomiczoo at 1:06 PM on January 28, 2009

Call Save More Sports at Queen and Sherbourne. Pretty good for military surplus, and they do occasionally advertise Naval coats.
posted by Chuckles McLaughy du Haha, the depressed clown at 1:12 PM on January 28, 2009

Although these examples aren't quite Captain Jack worthy.
posted by Chuckles McLaughy du Haha, the depressed clown at 1:19 PM on January 28, 2009

Kololo: I'm a fan of Torchwood, and Captain Jack Harkness, who is regularly seen wearing a navy blue serge greatcoat, which is a style of double-breasted full-length overcoat.

A medium-weight one is probably more practical, but today I'd like a heavy one, but this weather will pass.
posted by djfiander at 5:00 PM on January 28, 2009

This place (Uncle Sams Army Navy Outfitters) has a place in Toronto in Kensington Market, but I couldn't see an RAF Officers Greatcoat, which is what Captain Jack wears, on their website. They have East German greatcoats, but they are green as opposed to RAF blue. Might be worth checking them out though to see what they have in stock.
posted by 543DoublePlay at 5:24 PM on January 28, 2009

There's a place on Yonge that may also work... I believe south of Wellesley, west side.
posted by dirtynumbangelboy at 9:53 PM on January 28, 2009

The place on Yonge is Central Surplus. You should definately be able to find one there or the place in Kensington.
posted by cpdavy at 5:57 AM on January 31, 2009

cpdavy: yes, I figured it was Central Surplus, and I did go there. My problem is primarily that I don't know what's still here since I moved away many years ago.
posted by djfiander at 1:42 PM on January 31, 2009

« Older What are some masculine styles for long hair?   |   How to bypass my provider's annoying "site not... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.