I hope wont have to invent a new program for this...

Recommend me an ubuntu friendly program that reads idv3 tags, can create playlists & burn them to a CD.

After losing yet another mp3 player, I've decided to wait it out, not purchase something else and see what sort of portable music device comes my way. Well it has in the form of a friend giving me his old mp3 cd player. It reads regular CD's and also data mp3 cd's which hold much more songs than a traditional audio disc.

What I'd like to do is have different mixes with different genres, moods, etc. I really want to pimp this thing out. My music library manager of choice (right now exaile) creates playlists and the like, but I can't burn directly from the program.

What I want is an ubuntu friendly program that will enable me to create various playlists from the music on my computer and then burn them to CD as mp3 data. I hope this makes sense to everyone.

posted by saxamo to Computers & Internet (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

You can open your playlists with a music player like banshee, and drag and drop the tracks to the burner (available from shortcuts > CD burner at the top of the screen). It seems exaile doesn't use the common drag and drop format used by the file manager, unfortunately, so try banshee instead.
posted by Tobu at 2:39 AM on January 25, 2009

And by banshee I meant rhythmbox, since banshee doesn't use the right drag and drop format either.
posted by Tobu at 3:31 AM on January 25, 2009 [1 favorite]

amarok does this with k3b.
posted by geos at 5:40 AM on January 25, 2009

(you can install it under gnome too... )

sudo apt-get install amarok k3b
posted by geos at 5:41 AM on January 25, 2009

I believe serpentine is the GUI tool you want:
Serpentine is an application that lets you master (create) audio CDs.
  • Supports multiple file formats such as WAV, MP3, OGG, FLAC and every other format that GStreamer can read
  • Supports PLS, M3U and XSPF playlists
  • Can extract the audio track from video files
  • Supports drag and drop: files can be dropped from Rhythmbox, Nautilus, etc.
  • Clean and easy to use GNOME interface
posted by pharm at 5:51 AM on January 25, 2009

I use rhythmbox on my home PC and must say love Ubuntu everything just works, well almost struggling with my scanner
posted by Getextra at 7:02 AM on January 25, 2009

I've used rhythmbox's automatic playlists to handle this in the past. Just define the playlist, enforce a max of 700MB or whatever, and right click on the playlist and choose "burn CD".
posted by pwnguin at 5:59 PM on January 25, 2009

« Older Yes, these photos are crap, but they are my crap.   |   ONE BIKE TWO BIKE RED BIKE BLUE BIKE Newer »