What's wrong with my iTunes?

This morning when I opened iTunes (8, running on an iBook G4 with OS X 10.4.11), my library was...gone. All of my music is still present on the external hard drive where it is being kept, but nothing shows up in iTunes; songs, playlists, etc. Rebooting hasn't helped, nor has resetting iTunes' to re-recognize the external drive as the location of all the music. First time in four years I've had a problem of any kind with iTunes...anyone have any suggestions?

The one wild card here is that my wife accidentally moved the iTunes library folder to the trash last night...we moved it back to where it was, absolutely nothing was deleted, but this seems to have caused the problem.
posted by The Card Cheat to Computers & Internet (8 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

well, did you put it back and reboot the computer? itunes has processes that fun all the time that may be out of whack with that. That would be what I try first. then there may be an import feature.

you really should be fine if the itunes folder is back where it belongs.
posted by Amby72 at 6:38 AM on January 23, 2009

In the ~/Music/iTunes folder, there should be a file called 'iTunes Music Library.itl.'

If the file is still there, with a file size and date that tells you it should be the right one (mine is over 7mb for 6GB library), then just double click on it. It should open in iTunes, with everything working.

If the file is a newly created small file, then you need to find the original. If you have a backup, or if it's still in the trash, move it back, then double click.
posted by mhz at 6:45 AM on January 23, 2009

When you said you reset iTunes to recognize the external HD as the MP3 storage location...how did you do this? In iTunes preferences?

Make sure that iTunes is pointing to the correct library. Hold down OPTION key as you launch iTunes and it'll ask you which iTunes library you want to open. Point it to the library that's stored in ~/Music/iTunes/.

If this library was set to store its MP3 files externally, you'll be all set. What I'm saying is that, in your situation, the iTunes library (artwork, XML files, etc.) is stored on your internal HD and the MP3 files are stored externally. Look in ~/Music/iTunes and see if there are two iTunes libraries (the original one, and newly created blank one?).
posted by mrbarrett.com at 6:46 AM on January 23, 2009 [4 favorites]

> In the ~/Music/iTunes folder, there should be a file called 'iTunes Music Library.itl.'

There's one called "iTunes Library" (no .extension)...but I don't see anything with a .itl extension.
posted by The Card Cheat at 6:50 AM on January 23, 2009

> When you said you reset iTunes to recognize the external HD as the MP3 storage location...how did you do this? In iTunes preferences?

Yeah...I went into iTunes - Preferences - Advanced - iTunes Music folder location - and re-set the external drive as the location (even though it was still listed as the location).
posted by The Card Cheat at 6:52 AM on January 23, 2009

> Make sure that iTunes is pointing to the correct library. Hold down OPTION key as you launch iTunes and it'll ask you which iTunes library you want to open. Point it to the library that's stored in ~/Music/iTunes/.

That did it...awesome, thanks!
posted by The Card Cheat at 6:57 AM on January 23, 2009

The .itl is hidden on most systems, you need to click on it for it to say .itl in the file info. The OPTION option is the way to fix this through iTunes; the way I posted is the way to fix it through the Finder.
posted by mhz at 8:09 AM on January 23, 2009

I had an almost identical problem using XP. Thanks! That solved it
posted by a womble is an active kind of sloth at 8:34 AM on January 23, 2009

« Older Death penalty for small theft   |   Why can't Explorer see the files in an external... Newer »