In nearly every language, it's still called a "blog". But that doesn't mean I've read it.
January 21, 2009 10:04 AM   Subscribe

What are some great non-English blogs that I should be reading?

With Google Reader's new "Translate this to my Language" feature, I'm wondering what non-English blogs I should be checking out that I previously ignored due to my monolingual ways?
posted by po822000 to Computers & Internet (7 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Depends on what you're interested in, no?

Plus, YMMV, but i've come to find that outside of the english-language, web-workery-world of Kottke, Zeldman, 37signals, boingboing etc. etc., there's no "rockstar", "don't miss"-bloggers like in the English-speaking blogosphere.
posted by slater at 10:45 AM on January 21, 2009

In the street fashion genre, which totally might not be your thing:

Colour Me! is the Finnish blog of a super-cute little pixie redhead who likes big bows, vintage records, and poofy skirts with a cinched waist.

Betty is a chic french girl with an eye for rearranging her favorite clothing pieces.

The Cherry Blossom Girl is an amazing photographer and illustrator in addition to being a role-model for vintage-loving girly girls ever.

Since I have a suspicion you're looking for something a little more geeky and a little less girly, as a design geek, I love the German graphic design blog Fontblog.de. Erik Spiekermann! Product packaging! Typography!
posted by Juliet Banana at 10:45 AM on January 21, 2009

I guess some direction would help - yes, geeky blogs are always good, but also international newsblogs/commentary on world events, technology, etc.
posted by po822000 at 11:14 AM on January 21, 2009

I'd recalled seeing something like this recently...here're some possibilities.
posted by dawson at 5:03 PM on January 21, 2009

also, Globe of Blogs is interesting...
posted by dawson at 5:09 PM on January 21, 2009

Fluctuat.net is in French and has several blogs which update frequently.

French newspapers like Libération and Le Monde host many blogs on their websites.
posted by mattn at 12:19 AM on January 22, 2009

Church of Rationality occasionally posts in German -- see that link. He talks about a range of topics: philosophy, sociology, politics, culture, life. Most of his posts are in English, though. (Full disclosure: he frequently links to my blog.)
posted by Jaltcoh at 7:04 PM on January 25, 2009

« Older Congressional Funerals?   |   Fight the system Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.