Skip

Is apple peal safe to eat?
January 13, 2009 12:14 PM   Subscribe

Whenever I buy apples I notice that they are covered in a white wax-like substance easily noticeable if you scratch the apple with a knife. What is it and is it safe to eat apples un-pealed?
posted by bargainhunter to Health & Fitness (10 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

As far as I know, it is just wax. The apples that I buy off season at the grocery store have wax on them to help them keep longer.
posted by Ctrl_Alt_ep at 12:15 PM on January 13, 2009

Apple waxing.
posted by 517 at 12:19 PM on January 13, 2009

The bottom of this FDA page explains a little about fruit wax coatings.
posted by odinsdream at 12:20 PM on January 13, 2009

Stores do wax their fruit, but apples also make their own waxy coating, which is why they've always been such great winter staples.

Also, here is a PR piece explaining why Wax Is Great. I don't know how reliable it is, but it's interesting.
posted by small_ruminant at 12:22 PM on January 13, 2009

Apple Lustr.
posted by weapons-grade pandemonium at 1:17 PM on January 13, 2009

Wash your apples with vinegar. You should probably be more concerned with what you can't see (bacteria) than what you can see (wax).
posted by MonkeyToes at 1:41 PM on January 13, 2009

make your own vegetable wash
posted by slograffiti at 1:48 PM on January 13, 2009 [1 favorite]

Along the lines of MonkeyToes' response--(non-organic) apples are some of the more heavily pesticided produce out there, so if you want to worry, worry about that instead.
posted by Herkimer at 5:38 PM on January 13, 2009

Buy organic. No unnatural wax.
posted by whiskeyspider at 8:08 PM on January 13, 2009

Buy organic. No unnatural wax.

There's nothing unnatural about Carnauba wax. Due to the way organic products are certified it's entirely possible that fruits could be legitimately labeled organic and still be coated with wax.
posted by odinsdream at 9:24 AM on January 16, 2009

« Older Do i have to pay social securi...   |  Apparently I have scalp psoria... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.