What is "sulphur preparation"?
January 6, 2009 7:03 AM   Subscribe

What in the world is Bruce Willis singing about in "Coming Right Up"? Sulfur preparation??

On Bruce Willis' video/CD "The Return of Bruno" there's a song, Coming Right Up. At the start of the 3rd verse there's a line that I have never really understood the words to. I found the lyrics here and it says the lyrics are:

Need a match? On the double
Sulphur preparation, that's no trouble
Comin right up

So the question is...are those lyrics correct and, if so, what in the world is "sulphur preparation"? (Did the author mean sulfur preparation?) The song is about a bartender, not a chemist...
posted by arniec to Media & Arts (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I would assume he is referring to the sulfur used to make matches; he is trying to be eloquent as he offers the lady a light.
posted by TedW at 7:15 AM on January 6, 2009

A match is a sulphur preparation. Occasionally 'sulphur' resurfaces as slang for matches.
posted by cobaltnine at 7:24 AM on January 6, 2009 [1 favorite]

sulphur = sulfur (since that seemed to be part of the question too). It's just British vs. American spelling for the same word.
posted by cabingirl at 7:29 AM on January 6, 2009

Oh, and sulphur and sulfur are the same. Sulfur is the American (and sometimes Australian/NZ/Canadian) spelling.
posted by le morte de bea arthur at 7:31 AM on January 6, 2009

« Older Any used car dealerships--and ...   |  Robinson Crusoe was originally... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.