Who in San Francisco can fix my coat for me?

Can you recommend a seamstress or tailor in San Francisco? I need to replace the lining in my favorite vintage winter coat.

I had a great seamstress who made my wedding dress, but she is no longer around, and I need to find someone new. Replacing the lining's a pretty simple job, I would think, although I have a few other things that could use some alteration.

Someone in the Mission or Marina would be ideal, but I'm happy to go anywhere in the city for a good person. Competent, quick, friendly, and not wildly expensive are other criteria.
posted by gingerbeer to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (5 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

I've been going to Cable Car Tailors on O'Farrell all my life. I've never had them do anything too fancy but they're cheap, quick and alter trousers like no one's business.
posted by christhelongtimelurker at 11:05 PM on December 19, 2008

Cable Car is who was recommended to me by the partner of a friend who worked at Wilkes Bashford, but I got a suit jacket pocket-rip involving getting behind the lining fixed satisfactorily at Royal Cleaners at Cesar Chavez and Church.
posted by rhizome at 11:54 PM on December 19, 2008

And just down Grant from Cable Car Tailors is San Francisco Tailors, where I take all my pants. Isaac is a great guy, and I've had him do hems on pants, take in nicer coats, alter drapes, you name it.

(Yelp may be a great place for your quest..)
posted by kcm at 6:54 AM on December 20, 2008

I go to these people all the time. I didn't even look online, I just tried there because it was close.

They're very affordable and quick. The one time they couldn't do what I wanted, they were very upfront about it.
posted by roll truck roll at 1:00 PM on December 20, 2008

I also go to the San Francisco Tailors that kcm mentioned. Isaac does great work, the prices are fair, and most important of all he's a super friendly guy. They're also open on Saturday mornings which is great for those last minute weekend emergencies.
posted by junesix at 9:39 AM on December 21, 2008

« Older Is this phrase or saying real?...   |  Are there other products as ef... Newer »